1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Water in oil?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by zeus, May 28, 2019.

1. zeus

zeus New Member

Hi, I have an issue with my old 1989 XJ600 51J:
    I replaced the clutch (steel and friction plates) this spring and added a new oil (the same product I have been using earlier). All good for a week or two, until I noticed that the oil turns white - milky. Replaced the oil and filter with a new one, but the same thing recurred. It has been a rather watery weather lately, so I suspect rainwater, but I don't have a clue how the hell the water is able to penetrate into the engine.

The crankcase is ventilated with a pod filter and since it has overpressure during riding, I would bet on something else.

Any Ideas how the water gets into the engine? (I don't have any logical explanation or reasoning for this, so any ideas where to start with would be great)

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think we just had another thread that covered this a week or so ago. Still seems if you have pods and store the bike outside the water still seems to find a way in. The pods do not keep water out like an air box. If the bike is stored outside and the elements can get to it, I would guess rain is coming in through the PODS or crankcase breather. IMHO

k-moe likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

If bike sits out doors and you have pods and it rains this will pull in water . The other item if you dont run bike long in cool temps, water would evaporate if engine and oil gets to high enough temp, but if not this can cause milky looking oil.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Ah you beat me to this lol

Timbox likes this.
  5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Run it hard for a decent time > 30 mins and see if it drives the water off.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Get a length of hose and relocate the breather filter to somewhere under the seat so the rain can't get to it.
    Better yet, put the airbox back on.

7. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

My bike has no airbox, i simply have the OE breather hose tucked under the swing arm bracket with no filter.
    Bike sits outside, covered however, never had milky oil.
    Before i had a cover i always stuck a grocery bag over the carburetor pods when it was parked.
    Maybe just make a little cover for case breather, n keep a grocery bag handy for the carbs. :)

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1 On trying to keep any and all water away from those PODS and or open filter systems.

9. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Ya, i got caught in a sudden rainstorm one day, n the tank directed water straight into 1 n 4 cylinder pods... Ughhhh
    It stalled and nearly wouldnt start.
    I had to pinch the tank in my legs to keep the rain out of the outside carbs...
    Frapping the throttle constantly, Kepping the revs over 2500 so i could suck the "mist" thru the engine, i had to keep my legs on the tank and feet on the pegs, rolling stops so i didnt put my feet down n stall. It all the way home...
    What a pain, and i probly looked like an idiot..,
    not to mention suxking water thru your motor aint a good idea.
    One reason pods suck, investing in a set of "frogskin" bags for my pods to carry if it happens again.. Lol! ;)

Jetfixer likes this.