1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got a new to me bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by saftie, Feb 18, 2019.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

they missed the rims

2. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

The owner still has the side covers, I think.
    The leaking fork oil removed some black paint on the forks, the tank looks shitty as well.
    One muffler has a hole, several gaskets were never replaced, just reused a million times and patched with silicone (which I will replace before handing it back)

Sure, it could be a nice looking bike again with the right amount of time put into it. I was only asked to make it run, safe and street legal again. But I will tell the owner to strip it and clean it up properly once I'm done with it.
    I still have a few of my own bikes that I want to work on, not super interested in restoring this one.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  3. saftie

Been looking at Buells lately, one of my most favorites bikes of all I have owned.

So after some thinking I decided to put the ZX on eBay this morning, price on the higher side of the spectrum.
    I'd be sad to see her go but it would get me a Buell again.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

There is a Buell Blast sitting on a local car dealer's lot. It's been there for over a year. I wonder if their desperation to sell has gotten greater than my aversion to bikes with half an engine...

5. saftie

The Blasts are pretty cheap, never liked them that much tough. I'm looking to get an xb again, maybe a cr.
    But only if the zx sells of course. If not, it's ok too and I'll wait. The Kawi is a pretty awesome bike.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have to ask what is the big draw for the Buell sports bike over a metric? You mentioned you had one before, so you could have some nice insight to the ride.

7. saftie

I think they are a lot of bikes that ride better and smoother. In the end it does have a Harley engine in it and it's a bit rough.

I just loved the looks, the sound and the power. Was small and pretty nimble.

I think it's a bike that brings up certain 'emotions'. A cafe style bike makes me want to get more tattoos, that bike brought out the hooligan, if that makes sense.

But who knows, maybe I don't like them anymore, it's been a few years since I've owned one.

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I found a forum with a quick discussion about Buells vs metrics.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3_1PNd2eiJI-MCmdN_6uCz&cshid=1559571726897
    Quote that basically saves you from reading the thread:
    "I've read several articles that gave rate the firebolt as one of the best handling bikes on the market because of its short wheel base, stiff frame, great brakes, and low torque band. As for straight-line speed, any inline 4 600cc's or above will roast the xb's. Me personally, I'd take the better handling bike any day. They all accelerate harder and go faster than the average person can handle anyway. Leave the "my bike is faster than yours" crap for the squidies on their R1's in shorts and sandals"

Here is another link:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2UvXiPNoemHDNJ_zqTcmFH&cshid=1559572026205

With another quote:
    "What have you heard about the XB series? Here’s what I know. Introduced in 2002, the bikes use an exotic, made-in-Italy frame that puts fuel in the frame spars and oil in the swingarm. The motor was a first for Buell—purpose-built for the brand, it uses architecture similar to the Sportster mills used before, but with new cases and just about everything else. The 984cc version makes about 75 horsies at the wheel, add 12-15 for the manly-man 1203cc XB12. Front suspension is an inverted 41mm fork (43mm after 2004), and braking is by Buell’s ‘ZTL’ braking system, featuring a single rim-mounted 375mm disc and six-piston caliper. Wheelbase is a tidy 52 inches) and the bikes weigh in around 425 pounds with the 3.7-gallon ‘tank’ filled up.

That’s some serious tech, right? Given the bike’s history and quirkiness, you’d think they’d be rare collector’s items, with high resale values. Not."

The short reply is that you can get some pretty awesome tech for cheap. And lotsa grins.

9. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Imagine that perimeter rotor and inverted fork on a Sportster...

11. saftie

Yeah, when I sold mine, I put in the ad that I am not selling to new riders. It was that crazy. And I was serious.

Tiny power house, here a size comparison to me

[​IMG]

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great info and more than satisfied my question. We all need at least on hooligan bike in the barn. I now will have to keep my eye out for a good deal if it comes around. That fuel and oil in the body parts is nuts but smart.

13. saftie

Well, bike didn't sell on ebay, which I am actually not sad about.
    I will sell the BMW when done to finance the Buell.

14. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I've never owned a Buell Blast but will someday. I get teased from friends even mentioning a Blast, "they're hokey" . but a Blast will get up to 70 mpg and should be rock reliable and they are very cheap. A lot of them have extremely low miles on them, (bought for the wife and now she doesn't want to ride) . I think it would be a great short distance commuter, questionable styling though.
    Cheers, 50gary

15. saftie

Yes I agree, the styling is not the best.
    But then it's also a 500cc which I am not a big fan of. I find the smaller cc bikes too boring to ride with way too much shifting involved.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I agree that Blast is a little ho hum... It is a good starter bike and is from what I hear a reliable bike. If you ever tracked the maker, he was so happy to stop building that bike when he went on his own way. I don't know how much parts support is left out there for them. I have had a chance to ride one, I do not have one in my stable. I have road the Ulysses, almost pick one up some years ago. It had many miles on it and was at a Harley shop as a trade in. That bike was fun, had the power and I think if you sent them up right could be fun. I am with you "Saftie" the need to have the smile on my face connected with the twist of my wrist.

17. saftie

Triumph had way too much oil in it. Changed everything and bike fired right up on first push of button. So the additional oil must have made it difficult to start easily.

Now it's a bit more cleaning, chopping the rear fender a bit and brake pads. That should be it and hopefully I can finally get rid of it soon.

18. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I understand the sentiment and enjoy my bigger bikes greatly too but have a Honda VTR250 Interceptor that is an absolute hoot to ride. While not really quick, even while really sounding like it is, it is not slow. It is just more fun per cc than about anything else I can think of.
    John

k-moe likes this.
  19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Speaking of the old xb12, found one that was kinda close but had not too much info. I asked the seller for the vin and then ran it trough the police data base. Came back as Salvage and stolen, a double whammy . Seller said got it from a auction house down in FL, now the seller is just trying to cell it on the C list. I reminded the seller knowing it is stolen and not taking care of that before selling it BAD.

So if anyone needs a parts bike from IL. https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mpo/d/kentland-buell-xb12-parts-bike/6909351665.html

I was hoping to sell my KLR this weekend and maybe go down and get this, not anymore!

20. saftie

Gee... and agree with you. Unless it was a theft recovery, maybe?
    But good find and money in it in parts.

There is/was an 07 buell xb9 on CL north of Lake George that I have my eyes on. At 3500 not bad, and seems from a dealer.
    Not sure if all models and what year, but mine also had the typical issues: low fuel light on all the time due to a chafed wire in fuel pump (Pita to take fuel pump out), leaking oil from cover due to bad gasket (Pita because you have to tilt engine forward for better access) . I replaced the wheel bearings as the first thing, they are said to go bad as well.