1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Went for a short ride to run an errand , was chilly so put on a a jacket , went through town and hit back road ,no traffic so cranked it up only hit 55 WHEN I looked down my jacket zipper came unzipped I looked like superman with his Cape called it quits as I was at back entrance to my edition . When I was home decided to pull number 1 and 4 plug and check color both were ash gray , slightly lean but I'm going to leave it.

650MAX likes this.
  2. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Got about an 80 mile ride in. Great weather here in Seattle. First swim in the pool and fishing in the morning

3. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Bought a horn today to try and make it so I can hear the horn over the engine noise, installed it and still not a great sound. So clean up contacts at the horn and at the handle bar switch. While I'm at it let's clean the fuse box contacts...... bad move without any pressure two of the holders broke in half. I know they are a week link in the system and had it on the to do list for a winter overhaul. Well I need to ride this summer so down to Canadian Tire and found a 4 fuse holder..... just have to get a cover worked out and make the list of what to order longer.

Attached Files:

4. Jetfixer

This is one reason most upgrade to the blade type fuse block ,the stock fuse block usually falls apart ,know mine did ...PO had put individual blade fuses bypassing fuse block ...replaced that real fast with a 4 blade fuse block much neater .

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

6. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Stood beside my bike and shivered again this morning. Only 6 degrees Celsius.
    We have only had two days above 10 D,C in the morning this entire year so far.
    I made a rule years ago it had to be at least 10 degrees in the morning if I was going to ride to work.
    I rarely ride on the weekends, other stuff to do like boating.
    Which means I have only ridden her twice so far in 2019, which is RIDICULOUS!

Where the hell is the nice weather??

Jetfixer likes this.
  7. Uxbridge Brule

Craig B where are you in Ontario? Went for a ride in Durham yesterday cold cold colder.

8. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Near Barrie. Temp should be 22+ and still only 13 degrees by mid day and now its raining. :mad:

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you need one of these

Craig B likes this.
  10. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

Installed new stator and brushes

11. Jetfixer

In Chicago area ...RAIN and more RAIN and temp in 80s one day down in 60s next and more RAIN :rolleyes: I have only rode about 250 miles so far this year...and guess what it is doing right now RAINING ...

Craig B likes this.
  12. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

After rebuilding the carbs, checking the valves, and a few other odds n ends, I was able to get my 750 midnight fired up last night. Have to do sync/colortune yet but it runs pretty darn good. Can't wait to see what it's like on the road

650MAX and Jetfixer like this.
  13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Got the sync/colortune/recheck sync done tonight and while slightly tedious at times I am happy with the results. Nice idle, crisp throttle response, and no hanging or anything indicative of any vacuum leaks. New valve cover gasket and oil filter/housing oring seems to have solved at least any major oil leaks. Will keep an eye on that. Have to rebuild a petcock so it doesnt leak anymore then just maybe i can take a lap or two around the block. Oh it got a new set of plugs as well. Trying out some autolites in this one just for the heck of it. Can always go back to ngk

Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  14. Jetfixer

Been running Autolites AP63 plugs running great, when I had my Virago this rated best plug to run.

15. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

One more test drive before the Carb Clinic.

Flooded parking lot near the lake was steaming in the sun. Video would have captured that better.
    IMG_20190606_135921889.jpg

Lodewijk, chacal and 650MAX like this.
  16. Uxbridge Brule

Adjusted the headlight, cleaned out the little passage thing in the brake master cylinder and went for a night ride to check things out. Headlight is way better aimed now, at 80km/h on the back roads around my place I'm not out riding the low beam now. I have one question when did all drivers with LED head lights forget they have low beams? I was blinded 5 times in a 1/2 hour ride or do auto beams not detect motorcycles?

17. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Center stand for my bike arrived yesterday, found it secondhand at a wreckers. The PO took it off because reasons. This weekend I'll probably try and strip/derust/prime the outside of the fuel tank and see how well it sits with the new rubbers. Not sure yet how much time I'll have because Saturday morning I'm picking up a second bike (first world problems).

18. Uxbridge Brule

If it a used bike at least your recycling....Lodewijk you are a hero saving the planet one bike at a time.;)

650MAX likes this.
  19. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

I hadn't looked at it that way yet! It's from 1982 (Honda CB900 F2 Bol d'or) so I'll have to paint it green now, I guess. :D

Craig B likes this.
  20. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Even better, reMOTORcycling!

Chitwood likes this.