1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1986 Xj700x maxim rebuild/transmission ginding

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Blitz909, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Blitz909

Blitz909 New Member

Hey guys, new to the forum but have used it as a resource a lot. I apologize if this issue has been addressed else where and I could not find it. My xj700x makes a horrible grinding sound when trying to go from 1st to 2nd. This problem also occurs shifting between other gears but not as frequently. The higher the rpm the harder it is to shift. There is also pressure coming back through the shift lever with the clutch pulled in. I tried adjusting the clutch but that didn't help. The issue has also got worse since I have had the bike. I suspected its probably something actually in the transmission such as shift forks or gear dogs. The bike needs lots of other work such as fork, brake, and suspension rebuilds. I don't see the sense in doing any of these other projects if the engine/ transmission isnt running right. I'm not opposed to rebuilding the bike if need be.

A little back ground on this bike might be helpful. I bought the bike not running as my first bike, not knowing anything about motorcycles(I am a wiser man now). The bike had sat for a year covered outside before I got it but was running prior to that. It has 33k miles on it. 1k of those I put on. I have had the carb rebuilt, rebuilt the master cylinder, resealed the gas tank, replaced the ignition switch, replaced the thermostat and radiator cap, and put a new starter on it. I love this bike and would like to keep it running as long as possible. Any advice, suggestions, or wisdom for this project will be greatly appreciated.

Simmy likes this.
  2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound good. But I would first take a look at the clutch in hopes that that's where your problem is. If you have to go into the engine and you are not going to do it yourself, it's going to be expensive. If it comes to that you might just want to look for a replacement engine.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

^what he said^

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Youll get a +4 from this guy

6. Blitz909

Blitz909 New Member

Thanks for the responses. I will open up the clutch and see if it has any answers. If not I will try to take engine down.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Before you go so far as to tear the engine down you should also pull the shift cover and look through the inspection hole for of alternator chain guide. If the clutch is fine then the guide may have broken.

8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

7E1F88E4-9C0C-4CE0-B0B8-0340A633DEFB.png Thrust washer behind clutch basket or inner one ? Number 5

k-moe likes this.
  9. Blitz909

Blitz909 New Member

Sorry I have been MIA gentlemen. I had to have shoulder surgery which made wrenching very difficult. Now semi recovered I opened up the clutch and made this discovery. The washer behind the nut has been chewed on pretty bad. I'm not sure what did the damage to it. Think this might be the problem? Everything else up to this point has looked good.

Attached Files:

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

That is a lock washer it is supposed to be bent over to Keep the nut from back off. Looks like someone at some point someone got ham fisted with yours. If it was me I would replace it, what did the clutch disk and plates look like? You should replace disks while you have cover off.

k-moe likes this.
  11. Colin 85 700

I agree completly, and have to note:
    Someone was in there since factory, n the dough head bent EVERY tab over! The idea of the lock washer is to use a new tab each time, six tabs= 6 uses... Or more if youndont butcher the tabs...
    I sometimes bend two for good luck but... Damn get a new washer, its inconvineint but not expensive.

k-moe and Jetfixer like this.
  12. Colin 85 700

Also to Add, most clutch baskets with a lock tab like yours, have a specific and finite torque on that nut. Why it is locked, so it doesnt back off. If that nut is overtorqued it cuses all sorts of clutch issues.
    If the PO bent too many tabs on the washer, he likley over torqued the nut, thinking it holds the engine to the frame... Lol!
    Many people like to over tighten bolts, this can be as bad ir worse than loose sometimes. :)

13. Blitz909

Blitz909 New Member

I have come across a lot of odd thing the PO did. I wouldn't be surprised if the lock washer was over tightened. I checked the clutch plates and they all seem to be in spec. But its possible I measured wrong because the how to picture in the shop manual is very vague. I measured the black pads at different points on each plate making sure my calipers were not in the grooves. All of the clutch springs were out of spec though. I will have to get a clutch holder to go further into the bike. Is there any specific one I will need or a recommended one?

14. Colin 85 700

Get a real good leather glove, put a rag in your hand, dont be scared and hold the basket tight.
    Use an impact, battery, electric or air, the nut should spin off no problem.
    When retorquing, to spec! Ive had good luck using a shock adjuster tool on the basket to hold it.

15. Colin 85 700

Or build a tool like this...
    (Another bad drawing... Lol) ;)
    image.jpg

Blitz909 likes this.
  16. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I would recommend using something that engages more parts of the basket than s shock adjuster tool would. If you have old clutch plates laying around it's pretty easy to make a holding tool

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  17. Blitz909

Blitz909 New Member

Finally got the nut off that holds the clutch boss on and found the lock washer has been digging into it. Do you guys think this could have be the was causing the grinding? Is this clutch boss reusable if I smooth it out or should I just try to find another one?

Attached Files:

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that's what lock washers do, nothing wrong with it it. carry on.

19. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

File off any burrs first...