1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

dynatek coil trouble

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bruceridesthestyrker, Jun 15, 2019.

1. bruceridesthestyrker

bruceridesthestyrker New Member

3 Ohms +/- 10
    Manufacturer Part Number:
    2FM-46-15050x2 / DC1-1x2 after reading thru. what to make my 37 year old xj750 maxim a better bike. i have been doing things as i can afford. i ran across changing the coils with these coils for better spark and i dropped the coins and installed them. i also bought preassembled wires with caps and the coil bracket from a member n this web site. after i finished the bike ran great. not any better or worse than before but it was running great. fast foreward to a week or 2 riding about 100 miles total and the bike started having a misfire at idle. i could get past 2000 rpm it would run ok but anything lower it would misfire and seem like it dropped a cylinder, i rechecked all the connections and even put my old caps on the new coils. i tried new plugs no difference. i put my old coils on the bike and it runs great. i tried to swap out the new coils one at a time but the bike doesnt like the new coils. any ideals?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you got them from Chacal www.xj4ever.com contact him he stands behind his product

also check out your charging/battery voltage if that goes low at idle it can cause issues you described.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The cheap Chinese versions of the real Dyna brand coils are not up to the same standards, and we've heard of multiple instances of this problem (which is the reason we don't offer them!).

Also, the ohm rating of 3 +/- 10 ohms can't be right!

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  4. XJ550H

is there a way to tell the difference between the china version and the Dyna coil that you sell Chacal?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

For a start, the part number the OP provided is not a Dynatek part number.

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Ohm the coils to see if they are in spec. If they are not send them back for a refund and get genuine Dyna coils. I have had a set on my bike for many years with no problems.

7. bruceridesthestyrker

i looked at the item i purchased on ebay and it says dynatek style ignition coils so your correct it is a copy from taiwan i have been duped.

8. k-moe

What's really surprising is that the ads for them claim Taiwan origin. Taiwanese manufacturing is as-good-as (or nearly so) Japanese, though there are exceptions.
    These clearly fall into the exception category.

9. XJ550H

honda 750 coils are supposed to be a good choice

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Plus 1 , been running these for going on 3 years now with no issues and Cycle Recycle part 2 sells these as new fit Honda,Kawasaki,Yamaha 39$ ea they also sell plug wires a.d caps. These coils are Hiatchi and fit in place as same location as stock coils.

11. XJ550H

are the plug caps resistor types? I see the ad and the second ad with wires and caps.
    http://www.newmotorcycleparts.net/electrical/coils.html

12. bruceridesthestyrker

my stock coils are fine. i just read the dynatek coils produced a hotter spark. i had fouled a spark plug and it just seemed to me the new coils would be a improvement plus the red spark plug wires look cool. i am sending the coils back i paid $95.00 i found some real dynotek coils for $125.

13. Jetfixer

14. Jetfixer

My 71VW I swapped to an 009 Bosch distributor and compufire electronic ignition , this still uses a coil , I fell for it I bought a shiny chrome coil ...and there was no difference between the stock coil and the chrome coil till it leaked oil. So I'm running the stock coil with no problem...a hotter coil might help if you have high oil consumption , and face it WE all fall for the hype with buzz words "high performance" pretty shiny things.

k-moe likes this.
  15. k-moe

Coils won't solve plug fouling. They will help you to get by for a while if the fouling is caused by oil though.
    The most common cause for excess oil getting into the combustion chamber is hardened or cracked valve guide seals.

16. bruceridesthestyrker

My bike has no oil usage no smoke at startup or while running. The plugs are tan and the motor has 23000 miles on it. I noticed today my head gasket is seeping on the left side toward the front if it gets worse off comes my head I want a seca 750 exhaust cam and a big bore kit while I have it apart

17. XJ550H

is there a difference between maxim and seca exhaust cams in the 750?

18. k-moe

1. The leak is more likely coming from the valve cover. Generally leaks at the inner part of the "H" weep down to the head gasket and make it look like the head gasket is leaking.
    Clean, degrease, dust with talc, and look for the source before tearing into the engine.

A leaky head gasket will more often announce itself with a whistle than with oil. There are very few places where oil comes near the head gasket. Right in the center were the cam chain tunnel is (sealed with a seperate gasket), and on the right side where the oil feed and return are (sealed with o-rings). Both areas have a seal seperate from the head gasket, which is why an oil leak from the head gasket is so unlikely.

2. The Seca 750 and Maxim 750 cams are the same.

3. The big bore kits are not a good value IMO. The cylinder liners are on the thin side, and you get very little gain over the stock displacement. The plus side is the relative ease of sourcing a kit, versus finding an XJ900 engine to swap in.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Scott I likes this.
  19. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

You'll be happy with your REAL Dyna coils.

20. bruceridesthestyrker

I wouldn't change my head gasket if it was weeping. I think it most likely is the valve cover gasket like you stated it needs cleaned to be sure. I thought the seca had a different exhaust cam that's why it ran a faster quarter mile time. I like my bike how it is I had thought about a big bore but its Chinese junk for the most part.i keep the bike inside and its clean for its age

Attached Files: