1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hi

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Joseph Newburgh, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Joseph Newburgh

Joseph Newburgh New Member

New on here, hoping to glean info on my new to me xj1100 maximus, thats my name for her lol, what are you guys running for tires? Anyone from wisc. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Hi! Welcome! I'm from Indiana but I know there are a few Wisconsin members here! Check out the hotspot in the forum menu and you can see a map of the members in your area and add yourself. ;-)

I have an xj650 so I don't know if the xj1100 uses the same size or not, but if you can get them in the sizes you need I would highly recommend the Michelin Commander 2. They're actually designed for a heavier bike, so probably even better for the xj1100, but even so I couldn't say enough good about them on my bike. The grip is amazing, they ride wonderfully, and they wear so much slower than my old Dunlop's. I have approximately 11,000 miles on the Michelin's now and they're not anywhere near worn. I got about 8,500 miles out of the Dunlop 404's before they were bald as a baby's butt. The Michelin Commander 2's are more expensive, but considering how long they last, and the vast improvement in performance, I think they're more than worth the extra $.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see someone else close to me...kinda.

I have XS1100 that I am working on, not the same but close...I think. As for tires I have to ask how you ride? If you are just out for the joy of riding and don't find the little devil in your wrist that wants to go fast now and then. Or you hit corners and see little old ladies passing by, then the harder the tire the better. They will last for a very long time and will also help with that annoying center line wear that most riders get. If you like to go into corners and feel safe a little softer tire should be thought of. I try to stay with double or even triple compound tires on my sport bike, but for our XJ and XS type bikes, I would guess hard is good. k-moe is a administrator and he will be chiming in soon, I would think he would say that a big wide tire will not help these older bikes that much, so stay with the width tire that came from the factor or OEM equipped.

Lets see some more pics of that bike or yours pls.

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Wisco ride here. Far as tires go I run whatever is cheap to be blunt. As soon as money allows I will be removing the Michelin tire from the front of my 650 as I dont care for how it almost feels like its sliding when I corner at anything passing old lady speed. It was a used tire when i got it so not terribly upset about it. Has plenty of tread, just lacking in the grip dept. The tire I have on the rear is a kenda challenger 130/90-16 and so far I have no reason to say anything bad about it. Time will tell there but it was under $70 shipped to my door.

5. Joseph Newburgh

20190614_141217.jpg

Sarah likes this.
  6. Joseph Newburgh