1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Maxim-X carb problems - mechanic says bike may be ruined

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MikeMM, Jun 20, 2019.

1. MikeMM

MikeMM New Member

I had my neighbor rebuild the carbs on my XJ700. The bike worked for a few weeks then started to not start properly and I could tell there was a problem with the carbs. In fairness, my neighbor is a skilled mechanic but this time, he didn't seem to do a good job. I took the bike to a pro and he told me there are a few things wrong and it's to a point now where it may cost me more to repair it than it's worth and I'm worried.

Among other things, the pin on which the foat valve/plate rests for 1-2 of the carbs appears to be bent. Is there a way to get these pins? I was told this isn't part of a normal carb rebuild kit? What was happening on the bike is that two of the plates were getting stuck closed and it wouldn't start. When the mechanic tried to fix this, gas ended up just pouring out of the carbs, so something is wrong. He is unsure if he can get the appropriate parts. Any help or advice? There also appears to be an issue with an area where there's some sort of set screw deep inside a threaded hole, and the threads may have become stripped by somebody inserting too large a screwdriver into the body. Can anything be done about that? Are there new carbs available or appropriate parts? Please if you can help, let me know - I'd hate to have to give up my bike that I've had now for 20+ years.

Paul Dodd likes this.
  2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Mike, can you take a few pics of what you are describing? Some of your terminology... for instance:
    ...is a bit confusing and we can better help if we're on the same page about specifics.
    This sounds like you are describing one of your mixture screws. There are 4 of them... one per carb. Yes, you need to remedy this situation... If the screw top is stripped, you have to extract it and replace it. Without the ability to twist it, you can't get mixtures correct.

You may have multiple overlapping problems with the carbs.

The bottom line is, are you willing to do the work yourself? This is by far the best (dare I say only) option. You can do it... All you need is patients and the support of those here...

As for parts... In the top right hand corner of every page on this site is a XJ4Ever logo. Behind that logo is Len. He can direct you to whatever parts you need. He works though email or you can PM him through this site. His member name is chacal.

Breathe!

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  3. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

If you're not confident taking on the repairs yourself, my best recommendation is to remove the carbs and ship them out to @hogfiddles. He will get them in tip top shape for you.

Jetfixer, k-moe and Franz like this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

most carb repairs exceed the value of the xj when you pay someone to do it .that's why you ride them for a few years then sell them.

www.xj4ever.com has the parts you need . a carb body can be purchased or a used rack.

float pin that goes between the posts?

you did describe the mixture screws
    photos do help

threads may be repairable may not

cheeper to repair than getting another bike a parts bike would be nice

Chitwood and k-moe like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Whole racks of carbs can be had on Ebay for relatively cheap. They will need to be rebuilt, but you should consider that after we get some pics from you to help see if yours can be saved (it sounds to me like they can).

Chitwood likes this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Do NOT believe when a "mechanic" tells you parts cannot be found...this is BS ..as it was relayed xj4ever is the best source , his catalog is YUGE takes a bit of time to go through it , and ordering seems strange at first but do it a few times and it is a snap. Don't give up we are here to help ...

Timbox and Chitwood like this.
  7. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Welcome aboard MikeMM.

So you've got yourself a troublesome Maxim X there?
    And, your finding out it's tough to find a "Mechanic" that really knows their stuff on these older bikes.

Get some pictures up now that you have a few posts under your belt (needed 5 I believe), and we'll do our best to guide you on getting that rocket running it's best.

Also, take a minute and add your bike model to your description. That way it'll be more obvious what you have,
    and we'll be better able to understand some of the issues your having and pinpoint the best ways to help.

Tony

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Mike, i don't believe your mechanic. Send me a private message and we'll talk

Dave

k-moe likes this.
  9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I have a partial carb rack that is spare parts for the “X”

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Good eye. I didn't look that closely to his avatar pic.

OP, please add the model of your bike to your signature in order to avoid some very important confusion.
    There are multiple models of XJ with the same displacement. Yours happens to be one of the cooler oddballs; the Maxim-X.
    In the meantime I've edited the title of the thread for clarity.