1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Beginner Question

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by austin1981xj650, Jun 20, 2019.

1. austin1981xj650

austin1981xj650 New Member

I attempted to post this in different wording, but it kept getting rejected as spam or inappropriate -- so maybe I need to find a rules sheet, first :)

I'll try to simplify to see if this works: I'm a young man buying my first motorcycle, I'll be learning to ride on this. My Dad is a motorcycle guy, and has rode across the USA on BMW, and his best friend is a mechanic, so I take them at their word. They said this is a good learning bike, but I just had some questions that I wanted to ask y'all:
    • What should I know as a beginner -- if you could tell yourself a few things before learning to ride, what would it have been?
    • What should I ask when I go to look at it? (it's a 1981 in pretty good condition)
    • I'm a small guy -- 5'7 and barely 110 lbs. The bike looks small enough for me, but what do you think? does it ride too high for someone of my height?
    Thanks!

2. austin1981xj650

The original wording:

Hi all,

I am a young man in Texas, about to buy my first motorcycle. My Dad is a motorcycle guy (he's done solo riding across the USA on his BMW) and his best friend is a mechanic, so I have them as resources, but ironically, they're riding up in Northern Michigan right now, so I can't really reach them, but they've given me general advice. I just wanted to get the opinion of y'all!

I was considering just getting a moped; but I found an '81 XJ50 I don't know if that's a good price or not, it seems to be about fair when I compare it to early 80's bikes. I just really like the bike in particular, because it seems like a great "first bike" to learn on (this will be my first motorcycle purchase); and the guy selling it rode it every day for 3 years and kept good care of it (the 32,000 mileage doesn't concern me, my knowledge of mechanics has lead me to put use+care>mileage, but please tell me if I'm wrong!)

I'll probably update with more questions, but just to start it off:

• Is this a good price? ($1,500, 32,000 miles, though it was used everyday and maintained so the condition is good)
    • What should I know as a beginner -- if you could tell yourself a few things before learning to ride, what would it have been?
    • What should I ask when I go to look at it?
    • I'm a small guy -- 5'7 and barely 110 lbs. The bike looks small enough for me, but what do you think? does it ride too high for someone of my height?
    Thanks!

3. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi and welcome! Is it an XJ550? Do you have a link? We see a lot of XJ ads around here and can tell you if it looks like a good deal what to watch out for. FWIW, that price should get you a bike in tip-top shape and they rarely are.

If you want to spend an afternoon getting up to speed, here's a good link: https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/ and there is so much more information available here, but you have to start somewhere!

4. austin1981xj650

Hi and thanks :) I do have a link, but the original post was being filtered when I hyperlinked it. I was able to post a screenshot, and here is the description:

"Great running bike. Use it almost daily for three years and has never failed me. Time to move on to something else so need to find this great bike a new home. Would be an ideal starter bike. Very easy to ride and has plenty of power (73 hp). Seat is in perfect condition and all dials work. Starts every time. New battery and tires. Front springs eventually need replacing to reduce fork dip and help with braking. Front brake sqeeks and needs new pads but can ride as is. 32000 miles. clean Texas title. Minor superficial rust in a few places. Missing Maxim decals on battery housing. Bike is bulletproof!"

Attached Files:

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

first off take the MSF course you will learn a great deal in a weekend of training.
    XJ650 is a strong bike an XJ550 is more suited to new rider.
    you want to look at the basic maintaince listed for the bike and do every thing on the list.
    that bike is going to need a brake system rebuild, front calipers rebuilt new brake lines and new shoes in the rear. 32000 mikes ask if he has changed the wheel bearings they are due for replacement/solid inspection, next would be checking valve shims to get them in spec the manual is incorrect in the charts for shim replacement. we have a thread on how to do shims.

you will want to check for hanging idle after bike is warmed up. look at carb to manifold boots for cracks may need to be replaced or repaired.

carbs may/will need a good cleaning maybe a rebuild.
    when you go look at it yu want the bike cold not run before you get there

check date codes on tires probably 3 years old you will need a set soon

1500 is a little steep unless he has documents for maintaince

best advice is set a price in your mind and be willing to walk away

Bosen, Chitwood and k-moe like this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All of the above, and get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling, by David L. Hough. Read it, learn it, practice and live.

And remember to Be the Bunny

7. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

For what its worth, I bought the girlfriend an 81 650. Paid $1 per cc even though it was a running bike. It had pods on it and needed some things to make it right. I paid for her to take an MSF course, she passed, so I set her on it, showed her the controls and how they operated(specific to her bike instead of the Harley street 500 she rode for the course) and away she went. For awhile she was a little timid, not revving out gears/upshifting too soon/not twisting the wrist enough, but now after a season of riding it is quite comfortable with it. I lowered the shocks down as far as they would go and eventually ended up swapping them for some slightly shorter progressive ones that came on a parts bike and that only helped increase her confidence. It has plenty of power for us to ride 2 up as well. Granted I have put a fair bit of time and money into it getting it into a condition that I trust for her to take out on her own but to me it was well worth it. I have an 82 650 so very similar. It's nice just having to get 2 of most things when it's time for maintenance.

k-moe likes this.
  8. austin1981xj650

Thank you so much for this advice! I will keep it in mind when seeing him. I feel like the price is a bit too high, so I'll probably end up passing. I also appreciate the advice on the XJ650 being a strong bike, my Dad must be a little too used to riding, cause he thought it would be good for a beginner. Thank you again!

9. austin1981xj650

Thank you for your insight!