1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rubber seal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DennisMaxim, Jun 28, 2019.

1. DennisMaxim

DennisMaxim New Member

Hey guys I got a question for you I have a 1985 Yamaha xj700 with Hitachi HSC 33 carbs on it now I just clean my carbs right and what I'm wondering about is on each carb the start plunger and the idle mixture screw where they screw into the body at the end of the travel shouldn't there be a Rubber seal there

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The enrichment plungers will have a dust seal on the outside, but they just keep dust out. They vacuum seal by the fit between the plunger face and the plunger seat.

The idle mixture screws have a very tiny o-ring that oftentimes gest stuck inside of the bore for the needle. They are easy to fish out with a sewing needle that has been heated and had the tip hooked a bit. The screws can have a rubber dust seal on top of them, but they would have had to been ordered separately since the screws were originally sealed by "tamperproof" brass plugs. Many people (including me) don't use anything to cover the tops of the screws (even though we probably should).

3. DennisMaxim

DennisMaxim New Member

Looks like I'm going to need for of them can chabot get them for me

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Cahabot? I have no idea.
    @chacal has them in stock.
    If you are talking about needing the o-rings, make sure that the old ones (and he washers) are not hiding inside of the bores. You don't want to double them up.

Toomanybikes likes this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Or like the guy that gave me his Honda Cb750f carbs yesterday. “ I can’t get it to idle well” . Mixture screws missing 3 of the o rings and all 4 washers.

Attached Files:

chacal and k-moe like this.