1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1996 BMW R1100GS

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got to take the bike back out and I just can't get used to the boxer engine. It might be me, but this bike is so high geared that it is almost like it is gutless. Could be me just riding single thumpers or inline 4's all my life. Time to send the GS down the road once the paperwork comes back from the DMV. Ride was supper smooth and I can see why this would be like riding a couch all day, but I am not the couch riding type. :)

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The temps in our area are good enough for riding! Took the GS out today for a longer ride as it has only gone up and down the road a few times for safety and to tell me it was a pig. Well it talked back to me today. Yes about seven miles into the ride I would guess a ring that must have been stuck let loose. I started to smile when I was hitting the throttle. This bike has some good pull, as it should. I was noticing that I had a little smoke in the shed when started the bike, I don't seem to see the smoke anymore. I can only guess that it was a stuck ring as I didn't do a compression check when it was running like a pig. So now, I have to see if the other project (79 XS1100) runs better and pulls better. I think a smaller bike is for me anyway, lower to the ground that is.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Had the bike out again, rides really well and that torque is wonderful. I noticed the headlight low beam was out, it is the bulb, replacing that today. I guess I will ride this bike for a season and see how well I like it and what kind of mpg it gets. Sure does fire up nice and is really comfortable on the road. Still thinking of taking it down to more of a scrambler type bike as that second front fender drive me nuts. I know it is there for the oil cooler, but if I relocated that lower with new lines I can take the beak off.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took the bike for a longer ride today, it is a nice running bike and has lot of wrist smiles to offer. I will be keeping this bike. So not to play with the oil cooler and beak and think of a different wind screen maybe. The way that weird front end soaks up the road bumps is so nice. You look down when riding and see that teal-leaver working like crazy and you don't feel a thing. I am still getting used to the directional on each bar and the funny feeling of the foot brake. Just different stuff to get used to but all easy.

When you ride one of these bikes it is almost effortless, but a joy.

Now to work out the hazard lights and the heated hand grips. I know the grips are just done and dead. I will have to pull the grips and see what is up with them. I know the little wires in the heated part are done. I just need to see if the wires are still good and have power from the swx. Need to have the heated grips work for early and late season.

k-moe, Franz and Chitwood like this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The old girl is getting a plate today so I can ride her this yr. If the weather holds out I would like to stretch her legs for a good 100 + mile trip.

k-moe likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

She liked to get out and stretch her legs :) I think as with carb bikes the throttle seals are leaking. I can feel a little surge going on while the bike is cruising at speeds and down low. On the up throttle do not feel it and that would be a sign the seals are gone. I felt the right side and the linkage is moving a little and making a noise, that is a sure sign.

So need to order two of them $$ and get that changed out. The right fork also started to leak today so they need to rebuilt. I think both of the fixes seem to be manageable. The bike has good pick up and no longer is puffing smoke out the back on startup. Still think I am going to hack up the front and and move the oil cooler down low. Lighten this beast up and have some street fun with her.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Started to remove the front insurgent cluster and got the TB kit on order. Thinking of headlight and maybe a GPS speedo. There are many aftermarket speedo and indicator setup, need to start looking.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger today and started to strip the bike down to a more normal motorcycle. Normal being one that will not have all the extra stuff needed for just a daily rider.
    [​IMG]DSCN0298 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0297 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0295 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Then as I am digging through things I find this? Need to look this up and see if I can just unplug it or needs to be rewired.
    [​IMG]DSCN0296 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Even though this bike has ABS on it, really thinking of taking it off just to lighten the bike up. I will have to do some more searching to see the amount of work involved. I have to relocated the oil cooler and have new lines made up. Many more things as well but at least I got a good jump on her today.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Have a email in for some parts from the UK, need to add brake swx's to the front and back brake as I think the ABS. I also need the wiring diagram to bypass the ABS and the FAG to allow the lights to work. Also ordered ACEWELL speedo and tach to replace the gauge cluster. Looking forward to getting that on and bike and see how she drives with all that extra junk gone.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I got lucky with the yr of my BMW, looks like I don't have to go too nuts re-wiring the bike because I removed the ABS system. I removed both front and rear ABS sensors, traced back the wires and removed most of the wiring. Cut the ends, heat shrink and then liquid taped the ends. Re-tapped the wiring harness where needed as the time and weather rotted the stock wiring covering.

Was really worried about the "jumpers" needed for the front and rear brake system. Did a lot of reading and then remembered I had some left over SS brake lines from a project yrs ago. I found them and was lucky to get them both to fix. So now the front and rear masters to straight to the caliper on the rear and the "T" on the front fender. Bled the brakes so that is one more thing done.

Cutting the rear upper frame and finding a good donor rear fender will take some time.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

heated gloves
    https://www.thewarmingstore.com/ger...html?msclkid=ed7748b17fdf10be51cf144c72e067a7

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^ Very nice, I have their jacket already and love it. The BMW does have all the power in the world with the alternator to push what ever amps I want to use. I guess I will have to look into those gloves before that time of the year shows up again.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just some update pics.
    [​IMG]20190614_122328 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20190614_122302 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20190614_122253 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Got the speedo in :) Hook the up first and then get to moving the oil cooler and making a mount. That should be easy, getting the new hoses make, that will be interesting.
    I need to find a rear fender as well, something metal I think from another metric should work well.

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I got a day to work on the BMW! So I thought I had better get a mounting point for the new gauge. Had to drill and tap with a small 6mmx100 to I hope secure it for life.
    [​IMG]DSCN0310 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Could not find a good wiring diagram even in the book for a 12 pin connector that goes to the gauge cluster. I had to use a battery and try to figure out what color for what light. Sense the gauge clock goes to constant power and the the running or normal operation is swx power we will see.
    [​IMG]DSCN0311 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This bike came from factory with heated hand grips, the ones that were on there were done (80K miles). I had some ATV ones spare so I hooked them up using the same wiring but a different swx.
    [​IMG]DSCN0312 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    The kicker is, both of the bar grips need the 1" or 25 mm grips, so I will have to buy two sets to get two throttle size grips.

Need to work on the headlight and relocate the oil cooler and new lines.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Buying two sets of aftermarket grips will still cost less than buying one OEM set.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^ That is what I did for $12 a set...

k-moe likes this.
  17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the grips in yesterday, I thought it was my new phone. Yes lost my tracfone on the bike the other day, I should have known better to put it in my back pocket. Only out a little $$ as tracfone is cheep...or am I cheep...hmmm

Mounted the headlight into the bucket. I got both from Amazon and was not impressed with the bucket. I didn't feel that fit was good, the headlight would not seat into the bucket the way it should, the opening was a little shy of what it needed to be. I used a dremmel and opened it up little by little. The headlight now seats as it should and is in place. It is held in by compression pins, so I hope that it stays in place as I play on the bike. Seems to be really held in there well even though it is just compression pins.

Worded on the oil cooler relocation and see if I can make the new oil lines with AN fitting of take the measurements and have a shop do it. I guess the real idea is to mount the cooler and then put the bike on a trailer and take it to a shop.

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Loaded the BMW on a trailer and took it to a welding and fab buddy of mine. He is looking into the location for the oil cooler. I also told him about the exhaust mod in the future, so that is fresh on his mind. We have great weather this weekend, a little warm and humid...keep your eyes out for all the bikes.

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Man, oh man, do they ever put some weird parts on their bike!

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Some of them even work pretty good.
    It's a shame that they waited for Hossack's patents to run out before implementing their Telelever instead of paying the man for his work. It might have turned out to be even better than it is if he had been directly involved.