1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What is this part, which blows exhaust on me?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Prosper50, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

Hello folks!

If you look in the photos, there is a black housing with the word Yamaha embossed into it, and it has some sort of outlet port (in the second photo you can see a black rubber hose that leads to nowhere).

Exhaust comes pouring out of the end of this rubber hose, all over me while I'm riding. I stink when I'm done with a ride. I'm assuming that at some point this should have been connected to the exhaust maybe? I believe my bike has an aftermarket exhaust setup, which perhaps doesn't have an inlet port for this black tube? I'm not sure - I'm brand new to this bike.

Can someone tell me what this component is, and where it should be routing? Also, if my bike doesn't have the necessary connection for the tube to exhaust into, any thoughts as to what I should do so I don't get covered with exhaust every time I ride?

THANKS ALL!!
    -Dave

20190702_192049.jpg

20190702_192120.jpg

2. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Looking at a picture of mine it looks as though the pipe goes into the air box.

I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you a confident answer. Screenshot_20190703-121333_Gallery.jpg

3. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

4. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

Hhhmm... ok, so I don't have an air box. That could be the piece of missing information in this puzzle. I can't find ANYTHING that this would plug into.

I guess another upgrade that I have, is that I have four independent cone air filters attached directly to my carbs.

What is further odd is that this thing blows exhaust fumes, which I wouldn't think would be ideal for air intake?? I could be wrong??

-Dave

5. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

For reference, here is a picture of the engine and air filters....

-Dave engine.jpg

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The pipe takes unburnt hydrocarbons from the crankcase to the air filter to be drawn back into the engine. Pistons rings are not an exact fit in the cylinders so some fuel air mix gets into the crankcase.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The pipe fits onto the factory airbox.

8. firebane

firebane Active Member

Crankcase vent. Should have a piece of rubber hose with a small filter attached as you don't have a airbox.

If you had a airbox the tube would run from vent port to the airbox

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Make sure you keep those pods and the new crankcase filter out of the water, rain and weather. Those will not stop water from getting into the engine and oil. So if she is kept outside please tarp or keep her under cover, if not, you will get water in that engine.

10. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

Timbox, thanks for the advice. I have heard the term "pods" before, and the potential issues with them. Yes, this is a garage-kept bike.

11. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

So Firebane, or anyone else....

In light of the fact that I don't have an airbox, can someone recommend a product or item that would help in this case? Is there any aftermarket doo-dad that will eliminate the exhaust fumes, and prevent this piece of rubber tube from flopping around while riding?

THANKS!

-Dave

12. firebane

firebane Active Member

13. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

OK, awesome. I guess I'll start looking for one of those. Yeah, the airbox probably would save a lot of problems in the long-run. I'll have to see about a conversion or something eventually. At least this will get me riding in the mean time. I hope? :)

-Dave

14. 1965soda

1965soda Member

As Firebane said....an oem airbox would be the recommended approach and then that breather tube could be routed back to the intended location.

If the airbox approach is not preferred or possible....K&N make a variety of breather tube filters (https://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm). I would consider extending the tube to a location where it would be out of the way and not be close to you as you ride. Then install the filter and zip tie it to hold it in place. Please note....with pods on the carbs and a filter on that breather tube, the bike will be susceptible to water intrusion.

Hope that helps!

15. Prosper50

Prosper50 New Member

Firebane, the one on Amazon has a 12mm inlet. Is that correct for the XJ650?
    THANKS!
    -Dave

16. firebane

firebane Active Member

There is no correct size. It will depend on the hose you use to connect to the port.

Someone else will chime in as I don't know the stock size for that.

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

replace those pods they are rusted