1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Purchasing xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MaximusXJ650, May 17, 2019.

1. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

RE-read the PDF. Especially the bottom of page 1, and the top of page 3

3. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

I have done, I even have the paper copy that came with the tool when I ordered from Chacal.

My confusion lies with it being one or two passages - the instructions say to open up both sides of the port so I imagine it is just one big port and doesnt matter which side i open I put the tool in

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I put mine in from the lest side and saw the end of it just inside the right side. You have to have the O rings lined up in the chamber to allow the tool to block off each chamber from each other. Unless you really want to use the tool to say that "you used the tool" go for it. As others have started, you can do a really good just without the tool. Cleaning the passage should be done as after yrs of running and sitting, those passages might get a little dirty.

As stated above and by the people on this forum that have done so many of these bikes, the tool is "over rated" and does need to be used.

Franz likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are not two ports, there are 4 (one per cylinder). The manifold has two ends to allow access for cleaning and was (still is) less expensive to machine in a production environment.

Envision a length of copper tubing with four equally spaces holes drilled perpendicularly into it. That's how the manifold is shaped. Now imagine that there are four tubes connected to those holes by o-rings. Those are the YICS ports that lead into the intake tracts of each cylinder.

6. k-moe

Fitz is the man (still).
    Behold: a diagram.
    The dark blue is the YICS system. Light blue are the intake tracts.
    [​IMG]

Franz likes this.
  7. k-moe

I think the reason for removing both plugs is so the tool can be aligned properly.

8. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

For what is worth then I may give it a miss at first but if it doesn't run smoothly after then I'll use the tool. Thanks all for the help

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

If you execute the sync and colortune properly you will have no issues with how it runs not using the yics tool

10. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Got ya

Colortune should be here tomorrow followed by the morgan carb tune on tuesday

Chitwood likes this.
  11. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Silly question time.

So I was tuning in the air fuel mixture screws today (only had to adjust one) with a colortune. However on spark #3 the cable had broken inside the spark cover and so wouldn't give me a true spark.

Would this:
    1) stop the cylinder firing
    2) cause the bike to periodically sit at a higher idle?

I also have a spare one which is labelled 1 & 2 for sparks 1 and 2 but I'm not sure if this can be used to replace the 3 and 4 cables that are currently on the bike.

12. k-moe

Yes to both questions 1 and 2.

You're confused as to what goes where, or things are mislabled on the spare coil.

As you sit on the bike the left coil provides spark for cylinders 1 and 4. The right coil provides spark for cylinders 2 and 3.
    The only difference between the coils is the length of the plug wires. The plug caps are different, but only in physical form-factor to ease instillation and removal from the inner plugs.
    You can swap them around so long as the wires are long enough to reach without putting stress on the wires.

MaximusXJ650 likes this.
  13. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Thanks k-moe I was getting frustrated as to why it kept idling higher... now I know!

I'll be swapping it out tomorrow

14. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

So I swapped the coil out for a replacement and tuned the bike using colortune and Morgan carbtune pro.

The bike runs very smooth now and revs as it should - I went up and down the street a couple of times to test it and it all seemed fine.

However (theres always a however), at one point the bike bogged a little and required more gas, upon inspection it had splashed some water from the exhaust. I then went to the bottom of the driveway (sloped) facing upwards and gave it some gas and set off - more water came out. I parked up and there was a slow drip from the exhaust where the muffler meets the pipe.

Can this be linked to my earlier (still there) issue with the white smoke/steam coming out? Maybe a sign of the cylinder gasket going?

Also (sorry) my right indicators flash much faster than the left one does, any ideas?

15. k-moe

FIrstly, there is nowhere for water to leak from on an aircooled engine.

Secondly, condensation does collect in the exhaust system and will drip out/ steam out as the engine warms.

As for the indicators: check that all of the bulbs are of the same wattage and type.

16. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

That's what I thought, do you think the steam is where the bike hasn't been ran in a while? I don't think it's been used in 16 year... at least that's when it was last road legal.

It just seems odd that a collection of water or other unknown liquid built up and came out of the exhaust. It doesn't smell of fuel.

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

condensation happens quickly in humid weather. rain if bike is out side can blow into exhaust

exhaust has a little hole in bottom to let water out.

k-moe likes this.
  18. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

That would make sense, its rained most of the day and its been quite warm too. The bike however is stored in a garage and only came out for the tuning today and for me to ride up and down a couple of times

19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

dew point is what makes it all happen

k-moe and MaximusXJ650 like this.
  20. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Anyone have instructions/diagram for the correct routing of the throttle cable for an xj650 maxim?

I've replaced it with a new one from chacal and whenever I turn the steering to the right it revs the nuts off of the bike.

I'm looking to book it in for an MOT and if they pick up on this they'll fail the bike.

Currently is is routed (sitting on the bike from throttle grip to carbs) to come in from the handle bars, under the tank and over the coils. It then goes under the frame where the main loom sits and connects to the carbs.