1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tachometer line leaking oil?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by blackbox, Jul 6, 2019.

1. blackbox

blackbox New Member

Hello,

I have a 1981 XJ 650 maxim and I am having trouble with oil/grease leaking from the tach line. I replaced the old line thinking that would solve the issue but it has not. I was hoping someone has seen this before and would be able to suggest a fix?

Respectfully, thank you

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Kmoe has the answer, and XJ4ever has the parts!

This seal, as noted in the link above, lives a hard life and will probably start to releak a bit after not much time. Replacing the original seal about 4 years ago stopped the leak for a while. It has started again, but not as much. Whenever I do my weekly/monthly inspection of the bike, I wipe a little weaping from the seal, but not dripping.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Polishing the shaft on the driven gear is very important for keeping the new seal in working order. If the shaft is grooved at all it's best to replace it. But since they are NLA, if you can remove the grooves without reducing the shaft diameter beyond what the seal can tolerate it should seal well.

You can also source a later-model electric tach and install the blanking plug that Chacal sells.

5. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

If the gear is in good shape you could TIG weld the shaft and turn it back down to size. I have one that is in really good shape. Might get some dims for it.

k-moe likes this.