1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

classic bike investment

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Simmy, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

2. firebane

firebane Active Member

The cbx is a cool bike but it's not what I would call a friendly bike.

Jay Leno has one and does a good segment on it.

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I've seen the Jay Leno vid on his CBX. He had a naked 79 like my brother's but wadded it up, he went on to explain how he bought the 81 for cheap.
    It was the 1st new vehicle he ever bought and he still has it. The naked 79/80's are much more collectible than the later faired ones.
    I stayed in Calgary for the summer of 82 and remember my oldest brother handing me his keys. I was 21 at the time, had dirt bikes and rode a friends KH400 a bit but can't remember riding anything that big before. A few weeks later my 2 brothers and I toured down into Montana, all changing out between the CBX and a Triumph TR6 sportscar. Many lasting memories from that. The CBX brother and I later moved in together and did a lot of touring, me on a Seca Turbo and he on the CBX. Almost 40 years later he and I are still at it. My very 1st bike was a 73 Honda CR250 Elsinore motocrosser which I also got from him but I blame, no, credit him and his CBX for my motorcycle addiction. Funny both those bikes are now desired collectibles.

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

The CBX is dead sexy for just the sound alone! Sold a few new ones back in the day and the look on the owners face was priceless. A combination of fear at such a beast and lust of something so wonderful.

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

All true. In reality though the 1100 Suzuki which came out a short while later did everything better, except the CBX had those 6 CHROME PIPES!
    I see it mentioned how they are too complex, 6 carbs, 24 valves etc. but really, keeping several old bikes going is much more complex.
    Sounds like you're addiction is probably older than mine, LOL, good on you.

From the article they mention the CB750 appreciating in value. I wonder how many guys who bastardized them into cafe racer bikes will regret that.
    Apparently the sand cast bikes are crazy price now. Personally I don't see the attraction of them. I do love the Z1 900, that was the ultimate when I was 12.

6. firebane

firebane Active Member

Unfortunately due to the "cafe" craze.. the majority of GOOD CB750s have been hacked. But the same falls for any of the classic Honda bikes

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Kawasaki had produced a 750 four but when they saw the Honda CB 750 in 1969 I think it was, they changed their mind and later the Z1 was born. I had a CB750K2 but I would have a Z1 now if I could.

8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

After Mad Max a ton of Z 1’s became a thing to butcher. And many went the way of many super bikes got wadded up and scrapped. Or as was crazy then a group in Vancouver was sending many back to Japan in the late 80’s along with cb400f, cbx and the Z1R. Oh and the kz1000j