1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How much sea foam

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by tabaka45, Jul 12, 2019.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

How much Sea Foam have you used in a tank of gas for a “shock” treatment?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. tabaka45

I have seen some comments on the net about adding a lot of sea foam to a tank of gas to “clean” the carbs. Basically, I guess to remove varnish buildup.

4. XJ550H

seafoam is a more suttle cleaner. fuel stabilizer. and if you go heavy your gonna see a lot of smoke. cleans the carbon build up off of the piston . you can suck it in through a vac nipple smoke out the neighbors. I put seafoam in the tank at end of season to stabilize fuel
    I would use berrymans for a cleaner added to gas. stronger

I tried seafoam as a soak to clean parts then went to berrymans and got better results.

5. tabaka45

I have some Berryman’s. Just wondering how much to put in a 3.4 gal tank.

6. XJ550H

1 oz per gallon by the can.

I think you are thinking of those who hot shot the carbs by filling with cleaner or cleaner and mek then drain and run.

I would rather pull the carbs remove jets and mix screw and float valves then spray the hell out of the passages and polish the removed parts.

mlew likes this.
  7. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

+1
    If your carbs are acting up that you need to "shock" them, Sea foam may not help. Just take them off and clean them. You will get better and faster results.
    Sea Foam if a good preventative but not a severe problem solver.

XJ550H likes this.
  8. tabaka45

Probably so, but I have a can and it has helped with outboards so I thought I would give it a try. It can’t hurt and maybe it’s just a little water or varnish from sitting up for several weeks. I’ll let you know how it goes wit 2 oz. per gal.

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have run a couple ounces of seafoam or Mercury quickcleen in every tank for many years. It has kept my bike running well. No varnish build up. I'm a believer!

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Every once in awhile a "hot shot" help keep carbs clean , Straight Berrymans and MEK or Acetone 50/50 into the fuel line let. Soak for 1 hr does wonders , and might help from having to pull carbs off.

11. tabaka45

What is MEK and what do you mix the acetone with? I have used acetone with transmission oil for corroded bolts, but not in a carb.

12. XJ550H

Methyl Ethyl Ketone very harsh nasty stuff found in paint departments

you mix them with Berrymans carb cleaner

I would not use mek in anything with "rubber" orings

I have used both mek and acetone as a stand alone carb parts cleaner metal parts only.

mek will work for removing soft gas tank liner
    y\
    if it were me and I wanted to clean the carbs I would do what I refere to as a dirty clean .
    remove carbs
    take out the mixture screws pull the hats and diaphrams off
    pull main and pilot jets
    remove floats and float needles. make sure you put them back from the carb you got them from

then I take those little vynal caps and use red blue and yellow . I put a pin hole in the caps and the red tube from cleaner through the hole. use it as a dam and spray through the air jets
    block mixture screw hole with a cap to clear the little holes and cover them each with a finger to maximize flow through each hole from both air jet and pilot jet hole
    cover all tiny holes to get max flow from pilot jet hole then from air jet hole.
    clean fuel let holes and aspirator tube (use plugs) then reassemble . clean the slide throat too.

turn carbs upside down and spray up into float valve body to clean fuel rail.

if you count the mixture screw turns ( I mark carb body with a pin prick) you can get them back reale close to the setting you had before

sand down the red tube to fit in the hole at bottom of carb bowl and with a cap get a tight seal and flush.

the caps are going to get soft. I use berrymans spray or gumout spray.

I have a few old jets and mix screws I am going to drill out to fit tube glue tube in place and use as a fixture for doing dirty cleans

I also use spray seafoam to rinse out the berrymans/gumout on fuel rail from both sides to protect o rings. seafoam at 10$ a spray can is a little costly to flush out carbs.

the caps and old jets is from info over load or chacals catalog. I read too many things to remember which I think he suggested shrink tube too built up on red tubes.

13. tabaka45

Time to pull the carbs. Third carb must have a problem. Sea foam didn’t help.