1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

700 airhead oil cooler ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by McTavish, Jul 18, 2019.

1. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

has anyone gone through the trials and tribulations of installing a radiator to the frame ?
    the adapter plate is understood. I searched archives for the 700, no info. chacal list kit as non available .
    It's hotter than hades down here.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

no idea

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    McTavish likes this.
  3. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

I win !

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

5. firebane

firebane Active Member

Why not find a seca 650 oil cooler and hook it up. May take a bit of fab work but nothing crazy.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Are you having issues with the bike overheating? Have you checked the temp of the bike with IR temp gauge? I am just wondering if you are doing this mod as you feel the bike needs it or you just want to have the bike run cooler? From my reading, it seems the XJ family likes to run hot. I think in the 1978 Euro models they came with coolers but nothing in the US? Maybe the 900 in the US had them? I think you have to have the mod for the oil filter area, there is no banjo bolts to tap into for the cooler. I could be wrong on some of the XJ's.

7. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

the idea came to me while sweltering at at extremely long red light . just the feasibility of it. I change my oil often. while searching , I couldn't find anything/anyone doing this on a 700, so I asked. I understand though, the 85/86 frame is a different animal . Thanks to all who replied .

8. XJ550H

the one interesting thing for bikes that came with oil coolers is the service spec for oil changes is shorter.

you could possibly use the bolts from the horn stay to mount a custom adaptor for the radaitor

the kits that chacal sells also mention brackets that can be welded on to support radiator

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

This is true for the XJ650/750 frames, as they already have a gusset/tube running horizontally between the down tubes where the radiator and loop bracket can be mounted. The 700 frames have no such gusset(s), and a method of both mounting the cooler (radiator) itself to the frame, AND an place to mount the loop bracket (which holds the "peg" or post on the top of the radiator, to prevent the radiator from vibrating itself to death) must also be created...….we've studied this situation a couple times, and always come away disappointed as there is no easy, clear-cut solution using any of the factory coolers.

If there was an aftermarket radiator of the correct size, then you could (probably) use properly sized u-bolts to go around the back of each frame tube, and then thru the radiator mtg. flanges, but note that this would require that such radiator would need to have (or have fabricated) horizontal (rather than vertical) mounting brackets.

The adapter plate (down on the engine) would work okay, but...…….you would also have to rig up some adapters to mount fittings to it, as the factory hoses are somewhat precisely made for each bike frame/engine to "snake" around obstructions and orient the hoses to the radiator properly. Note that the factory hoses have the fittings built onto/into them, and they are rather unique. The adapter plate does not have threaded ports (so you can't just install a threaded 90* brass fitting, etc. into them) unless you want to drill/thread/tap the adapter plate. You'll still run into the issue, though, that the nice factory hoses solve via their built-in fittings and metal tubing----that the hoses must be moved out (away) from the adapter plate AND move upwards at somewhat precise dimensions to get proper clearance and directional orientation to then direct the flexible rubber hose section towards the radiator...….and this is why precise-bent METAL tubes are used at the engine end of the factory "hoses".

In theory, it can be done, but it's going to be a LOT of trial-and-error in radiator selection and then all of the associated mounting provisions/hardware to do so...……...

Franz and tradmedic like this.
  10. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Thank You Len, for the time and effort for the explanation . your knowledge is "awsome"! -- -- I don't think I'll be going down that road.

11. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Measure what you need, a decent napkin diagram, and I can probably draw it in SolidWorks and get it cut. I do prototype auto parts fab and 3D printing.

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So because the oil cooler removes excess heat I assume the oil degrades quicker?

15. XJ550H

or it is assumed it runs hotter than expected and why it needs a cooler.

no idea why

Franz likes this.