1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can I Replace This?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Austin Christopher, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Austin Christopher

Austin Christopher New Member

I'm on the final few steps of tearing apart the engine from my '81 550 maxim when I came across this. Im not sure how to go about removing this, or if its even possible. I would appreciate any help or information anyone could provide.

Im also not sure how this piece managed to get so rusty either. If anyone has any ideas on how I could prevent this in the future I would love to hear your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Cylinder locating dowel . Pretty common item still available. Yes they get rusted but some heat and a set of vide grips to get it to turn. If not dremel a groove on the inside then it should collapse and come out.

Austin Christopher likes this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take that out unless I really had to

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I would suggest replacing it if it is pitted. Otherwise it will end up seizing in the case. Be sure you replace all of the o-rings in the diagrams. Clean all of those dowel holes really well, you don't want any of the o-rings to have a reason to leak.

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

I would just clean the dowel well and apply a small dab of grease or antisieze on assembly. No need to pull it out.