1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just took off front tire, what else do i replace?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by roblqjm, Jul 23, 2019.

1. roblqjm

roblqjm New Member

I have an xj550 that im trying to get running again after sitting in my back yard for a winter. The front tire is flat so i took it off and threw it in the back of my truck. I figured since the tire is off i might as well get new front brakes for it, then after some reading i found that maybe the brake cable needs to be new too, and then i found people saying that the caliper needs to be replaced too or else ill die.

Basically, the tire is off, what do i need to replace while im there?

2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Need more info...

It really all depends on how long it has been since the last brake service. You'll probably want to replace the lines as there is a fair chance that they are originals. If that's the case, the caliper should be rebuilt as well.

What does the Master Cylinder look like? When was the fluid last changed?

Chitwood likes this.
  3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Even if the fork seals are ok good time to replace fork oil.

Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  4. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Maybe check the bearings?
    I put a new tire on this spring and after 37 years the bearings where getting a little stiff.

5. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

check the bearings for play between the races
    new brake pads if they are heavily worn
    check rotor for wear thickness and grooves
    check the caliper piston for signs of leak around the seal
    replace fork oil
    check the brake lines for leaks and cracks in the outer sheath
    check the brake line bridge that's bolted to the head for leaks
    check master cylinder fluid level

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Rebuild the caliper , to get piston out either an air nozzle or a grease gun ...DO NOT UNDER ANY circumstance use Channel locks, vise grips , you do not want to mar the piston in anyway. There are 2 seals in both calipers . I would recommend rebuilding the forks while your at it , you dont want to get it all back together and then have a fork seal start leaking. Seals for the forks and caliper are not that expensive and fork oil .

Chitwood likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the bike running before you parked it?

motor first change oil and filter use shell rotella T4 about 14$ a gallon.
    you should check valve shims and change them if needed. next is to clean carbs.

if you have a good battery in it you can spray a little starter fluid in air box (check filter first make sure mouse has not moved in) .you will see the intake of box under seat.
    try to start if it fires up for a few seconds you know bike will start and run.
    pull carbs and clean/rebuild them Cleaning your Mikuni carbs the float needles may be an issue , make sure you put them back in the carb you took it out of.or replace them if needed
    Setting the fuel levels

this is for hatachi carbs but same standards apply.
    IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

once you have a running viable motor you will want to think about stopping the bike. rebuild front brake system. master cylinder, calipers and new brake lines. new pads save the old pads because the hole will have to be filed out some on the replacment pads to fit them in caliper on pin.
    fork seals are a must to at this point..
    then check/replace rear shoes. you do not want your old shoes delaminating on you in a curve and accelerating....
    check/replace front and rear wheel bearings.
    check out sprockets and chain you will want t replace them if worn o ring chains are at a good price as are sprockets
    if you have a standard chain and plan to reuse it put it in a paint can full of oil for a few days .

examine rear shocks for oil leaks.

then lube and inspect cables plan on getting a new set for when clutch and throttle cable snap choke cable should be good

Rooster53 and Jetfixer like this.
  8. roblqjm

roblqjm New Member

Thanks for the responses guys youve all been very helpful. The tire is on its way and i have an excel sheet of stuff i should do. It ran fine before I let it sit but the front brake stopped working so im in the process of doing what you guys suggested with the front brake.

I dont think i 'll have enough money to do the entire front side all at once so im gonna due the cheaper stuff and inspect the other parts to see if they absolutely have to be rebuild right away.

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Replace the tire valve stem, it may be original

10. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Based upon what the others have told you, I have 2 cents to add.

The original brake lines were supposed to be replaced at about 4 years according to the OEM. If original, you're putting yourself at risk by operating them. I have experience with the XJ4Ever kit and it's almost Murphy proof. You can't do better.
    You should replace your brake fluid at least every other year. It's easy. Put fresh fluid in the master cylinder and bleed it out the bottom. Repeat until it's clean. It will save you the headache you're having to go through now.

If you're replacing the brake lines, you may as well rebuild the master cylinder and calipers. If you don't, you'll just wish you did when you're doing it later.

Fork oil should be replaced about every third oil change. Your fork lowers are not anodized like many modern bikes. The oil turns black as it wears at the aluminum. The more aluminum the oil is carrying, the more abrasive it is. This accelerates the process.

You probably have original wheel bearings that have 35 year old grease in them. You have to knock them out to grease them, and that will destroy them. Best to just replace them.

While you're at it, the top steering head bearing is probably as dry as a popcorn fart. Put some grease on the bottom one and repack the top one.

Good luck!

k-moe and Jetfixer like this.