1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Issue with 81 XJ650 rear engine mount

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BillyBishop, Jul 28, 2019.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop New Member

Hi all,

I'm putting the engine back in the frame and can get everything lined up but ran into trouble when buttoning up the rear. Looking for help with:

1. The Haynes manual suggests my bike has two bolts in the rear, one left and one right. I have a long through-bolt instead. Should it be two?

2. Which direction do the rubber bushings go into the large block bosses? Flange inwards or outwards? I figured outwards so that the frame boss can go against the flange. When I did it this way and began to torque the bolt to 50 ft-lbs, the bushing started to deform, picture below.

[​IMG]

Torque was no higher than 25 ft-lbs when the deformation started and I didn't realize until it wouldn't go past 35 ft-lbs.

Inserting the bushings the other way is completely counter-intuitive... the flange/washer would serve no purpose facing inwards unless I'm missing a long collar/sleeve that sits between the two bushings on the through-bolt.

I'll be needing a new pair of the above pictured bushings but can't find them on any parts diagram or list. Does anyone know the part number?

Hope this all made sense, appreciate any guidance.

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

It is definitely just one long bolt, some manuals have errors and this may be one of them. I do not have the Haynes manual to look it up but there are documented errors in both the Yamaha and the Haynes manuals. The bushings do go in with the flange out. Do you have the spacer sleeve that goes on the middle of the bolt? Without that you would be pressing the bushings into the frame when tightening instead of tightening them against the spacer.

Mounts.png

3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

yep, must be definitely missing the spacer, the bushings can't deform with it in place
    stu

BillyBishop and k-moe like this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yep.

Also, the rear mount is the main holder of the engine. It's supposed to get installed first (along with the footpegs), then the fronts, then the whole shebang tightened to spec.

BillyBishop likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

BillyBishop likes this.
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    BillyBishop likes this.
  7. BillyBishop

BillyBishop New Member

Thanks all very much! I'm either missing that piece or it's in my garage somewhere from when I disassembled the bike six years ago.

Noted that the rear goes first.

Will now try to find those bushings, thanks for the part numbers.

I don't post very much at all but used this forum extensively when I rebuilt the bike years ago. Just never put it back together until now. Impressed as ever with the helpfulness.

Cheers!

k-moe likes this.
  8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Hi Billy
    I have a bunch of those spacers I can pull from a parts bike or 2 if you need

9. BillyBishop

BillyBishop New Member

That would be fantastic. I was just in Tsawwassen this morning, should've checked the forum first. My number is seven seven eight/ 321 dash o965, can you call or text me please?

10. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

you could "un-deform" the bushings by squeezing them back to shape in a vice.
    stu