1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vintage Motorcycle Theft?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MrSeca, Jul 30, 2019.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I look at my Seca 650 that I restored and it looks good. Really good. I love the bike so much I'm almost afraid to park it out in public. But then I think to myself, who would want to steal a bike from 1982? Will someone steal it? Would someone steal a vintage bike, period?

I thought I'd open up a discussion about vintage motorcycle theft and find out what people's experiences are specifically with older bikes. Is it a thing?

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Young thieving rats go after newer bikes for simple $$ and Harley D’s.
    I Have accidentally left my keys in my bikes and haven’t had one stolen yet ( knock on wood) but it does happen. Those that are taken are most likely pinched by someone with the same bike.

MrSeca likes this.
  3. firebane

firebane Active Member

If they were to steal a bike from 1982 its for a joyride. There is no value in the bike except to the owner unlike newer bikes.

MrSeca likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A 1982 Honda CBX has some value, and would likely be broken for parts.
    Model matters. Year not so much (to some extent).

MrSeca likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I got my Suzuki GT 250 stolen and after that I locked up every bike I owned. Glad it was not my 1974 CB 750 Honda.

MrSeca and k-moe like this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Too right I am the same, I didn't worry about my MZ TS 150 I had to get to work (my first bike) but after my Suzuki was stolen I am as careful with security as possible.

MrSeca likes this.
  7. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

Someone could. Theives aren’t the brightest.

Would they? You never know. Granted it’s not a Shelby GT500 mustang named Eleanor, but some people will steal anything not nailed down. I don’t have statistics to back it up, but I’d surmise that it’s rare for a motorcycle to be stolen out of a store or work parking lot VS out front of a domicile overnight.

Years ago I had a nice 2006 Ninja 500 stolen from my apartment complex while parked next to a ratty Honda Shadow. So maybe the lesson is just to park next to a more desirable bike when possible

MrSeca likes this.
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I used to live in Warner Robins GA, the gangs or who ever they were from the Atlanta and Macon area would rent a Tommy lift truck. They had a spotter go around and find the bikes they wanted. If the bike was outside it was theirs, chained or not. 26 bikes were taken the same night mine was (SV1000) but I don't think any vintage bikes were in the lot. They strip them down for part money to feed they addiction. As far as being smart, it was. The police person that took my report said it was hard to catch them in the act. My bike was found three months later, had all the key locations drilled out. A Florida plate on it that had seven yr old sticker. Found on a known drug property and they person that police found with the bike went to jail.

Bluestar and MrSeca like this.
  9. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Thanks for chiming in. I live in California which apparently has the highest motorcycle theft in the country and vintage bikes are very rarely stolen. So, I guess I need to just relax a bit and show it off in Venice Beach.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Here is what happened in Croydon in England, although they are new Ducatis.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Trouble with that is, he or she will be out in less than half the time of sentences imposed. 18 months = 6-8 with good behaviour.
    There face should be posted on every bike forum so if he or she is in your town...... hmmmmm ,
    “do you feel lucky punk” my favourite movie cop

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I can't even talk about our (USA) justice system, so time spent in jail and reparations is almost a joke. Getting back on topic, the vintage motorcycle theft would be for very special bikes and I would guess only a collector? You can't make huge money from the parts like modern day bikes. Most of us work on these older bikes for a hobby as the bikes are in a good price range to be had. XJ's seem to be almost indestructible if the PO's had any common sense of doing routine maintenance on them.

Bottom line common scenes rules with our bikes. If you are that worried then get a huge over the top insurance policy on it. If you are like me, just have minimal on it and hope that each and every time you come out to her she is there. My passion for these older bikes is bringing them back from the dead, sure I like to ride them, but I will take one of my newer bikes for a long haul for my hooligan bike out for the thrill.

S10gto likes this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Same in the UK.

MrSeca likes this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

they make locks that attach to brake disc , use fork lock and a good cable to secure it to something . the fact is that if someone wants it you have to make it hard for them .
    disc lock they will pick up front end and drag it to awaiting van/truck cable to a post makes it harder. your seca 650 would make someone a nice parts bike.

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

But then there is our member down in Texas that had his XJ stolen, and subsequently located after it had been trashed. A bunch of us sent parts down to him so he could recreate it.

dfox