1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to forum and carb questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Loveland'81, Jul 1, 2019.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

However, in rebuild many many racks, I have found many many that are wrong

Loveland'81 likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

and it will be on my list of things to check from now on.

3. Loveland'81

Loveland'81 Member

Hello again all, back with more questions. Bike runs beautifully but I am having starting issues and have the same issue since I got the bike. Starts great cold fires right up. However as soon as the engine is warm and I stop for more than a few minutes to get gas or whatever on restart the starter turns very slowly and sometimes clicks. If I press the start button a few times sometimes it will kick over but this issue is not filling me with confidence if I have to go somewhere and stop. I have replaced the battery, voltage regulator, cleaned the generator copper, brushes are good. Voltage output is in spec. Opened the starter and cleaned up the carbon and armature. Brushes were in spec. Yesterday it left me stranded at a stop light. It was not a fun push on a left turn with cars behind me. Luckily I was near a shopping mall. Looked at everything and starter was completely locked up. The relay just clicked even when I had the battery hooked up to my truck. Luckily I was able to push start it and when I got back home lo and behold the starter worked again. Is this a starter clutch issue? Weak starter? Power connection to relay is clean along with all grounds. Any advice would be great thanks again everyone!

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

i don't care if the battery is new..... sounds like a bad battery. Do some voltage-drop tests at different temperatures

Loveland'81 likes this.
  5. Loveland'81

Loveland'81 Member

Alright all so after a starter rebuild it now starts great. I ended up getting stranded and it refused to start. I managed to limp it home but it made me check the starter. Brushes were worn down all the way. Good now. My new problem is the front brakes are hanging on the rotors. When I put the bike in the air I am only able to move the tire half a rotation and it stops dead. I can hear the pads rubbing. Its also causing me to give additional throttle to get it moving along with clutch work. I can also feel it drag when I go around corners. Its a safety issue. When I remove them the wheel turns many times without sound. I have already rebuilt both calipers including the seals and I also polished the pistons. I also replaced the brake lines and the master cylinder with new parts. I also bored out the brake pad hole on top of the pad a bit but nothing seems to work. I verified there isnt air in the system either. Any suggestions? I have also had the speedometer cable break twice. The original cable was old so I bought a new one. The new one snapped after 3 miles! Its breaking at the driven gear on the wheel.