1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel in airbox and oil tank.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sam138, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Sam138

Sam138 New Member

Hello all, new here. A year ago I bought a 1982 xj 650 Maxim to fix up. I did a good amount of work to it and got it running but now it smokes a lot when it was running. I pulled the carbs off and rebuilt them so everything should be working there. Based on smell the air filter and oil tank had gas in them at some point. Could that be causing the smoke? Should I replace the filters and oil or is fuel still getting in? Let me know what you think. Thank you

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The float needles aren't sealing, or a float is stuck.
    DO NOT run the bike with oil in the crankcase (if it's in the airbox it's also in the crankcase).
    Drain the oil, pull the carbs, and double check your work.

Did you wet-set the fuel levels?
    What brand of carb kit did you use?

3. Sam138

Sam138 New Member

I used APCO for the rebuild. Could the bike be smoking from the fuel prior to the carb rebuild? I didn't actually see fuel in the air box just smelled it. I will drain the oil regardless. Should I get a new air filter since this one smells like gas?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A new filter would be advisable, just because you don't know how old that one is.

I'm not sure about the APCO kit. I want to say that it's a crappy kit that has no more value than as a display item. Could @chacal chime in?

Be sure that what you're looking at isn't just condensation from the exhaust.

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

When it comes to the carbs I would rely on Chacal for everything. He has the correct parts.
    As k-moe said some of Parts, especially needles and needle seats just do not work for various reasons. By the way, a good way to check the needles for leaking while you have the carbs off is to remove the float bowls, invert the carbs, attach a fuel line and fuel source and see if they leak. Lift the floats a little to get fuel flowing and let the floats back onto the needles and the fuel flow should stop. Then make sure you wet set the floats.

Maxim-X likes this.
  6. Sam138

Sam138 New Member

Ok, thank u guys for the advice. I only used that kit because the previous owner had already bought it. I will try those things the next time I have a chance to work on it. Appreciate the help.