1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How or what to get for quieter exhaust

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Jaded Marxist, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

I've been thru the forums a lot and I've read lots of exhaust mod posts, but they all are how to make your exhaust louder! I don't believe loud pipes save lives, more like luod pipes make enemy's of your neighbours. So I'm looking to make mine quiet. I was thinking maybe putting on some car resonators? Anyone have any ideas? My xj750 is completely stock. My commute starts at 5am and warming the bike up for 10 min is very loud plus I can't hear my music over the exhaust. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Make sure that there aren't any rust holes in the collector or mufflers. The stock system is very quiet, and built much like a car system is (acoustic baffles instead of fiberglass packing).

Jetfixer, Chitwood and raskal like this.
  3. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Well I took a closer look at the mufflers and I may be wrong about them being stock as they look to be a universal type. As I can adjust the mounting bracket to accomadate othe rbikes I assume. I'm unsure of what the stock cans woulda looked like also the cans seem to be a slip on type as no gaskets just clamped on. I'll see about a pic maybe you might be able to tell if they are stock. I looked to see about holes and there are none this exhaust looks almost new besides some minor surface rust on the headers.

4. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Here is a pic of one side
    _20190804_180445.JPG

5. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Here the collector _20190804_180856.JPG

6. k-moe

The collector is stock, the cans aren't.

Stock XJ750 mufflers:
    [​IMG]

XJ650 Mufflers also fit, and look like this:

[​IMG]

Both are geting more difficult to find in good condition.
    Your muffler looks to be fiberglass packed, and probably needs repacking. The screws on the end can be removed to pull out the baffle and packing.

raskal likes this.
  7. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Ok thanks so much. I'll see about getting some glass pack to put in.

Regards Jaded Marxist

8. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

9. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Just wanted to add my appreciation for your endeavour.
    Power, quietly is a beautiful thing on a motorcycle.

10. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Sorry for the late replies been a hell of a week. I repacked the mufflers with fiberglass. Less noise but not quiet enough. And seems like the packing has all but burned up or blown out. Seems like a lot of work repacking them every couple of days. I'm gonna see about rigging up some automotive resonators in the off season. On another note I had picked up a supposed universal sissy bar with the padded back rest but no brackets and thought maybe someone could point me to some pictures of some homemade bar mounts as I've looked for a manufactured set but seems like no one makes them! I have some ideas but lack the metal working tools to accomplish the task at home, such as a welder so I was gonna try to get a drawing done up and give my local iron worker some buisness. How long should a good fiberglass pack last? Although I commute with my bike almost an hour each way.

Anyways I'm rambling thanks for the input folks it's much appreciated

Regards Jaded Marxist

11. k-moe

What sort of fiberglass are you using? The household stuff is no good for packing mufflers. Backing fiberglass packing mat with steel wool mesh helps reduce noise even more, and adds to the service life of the fiberglass mat.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

think stainless steel pot scrubbers

k-moe likes this.
  13. Raunchtastic

Raunchtastic New Member

If you measure the inside of the exhaust outlet you can also get a "Db killer" or internal silencer. My 550 has a 4-1 D&D exhaust which is very loud, throw in the Db killer and it is much more manageable. With it out, I need earplugs to ride in addition to my helmet otherwise I get a ringing in my ears. With the DB killer in I no longer need ear plugs.

14. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Yeah I fid use house insulation. I've been told by a few ppl that's all they use.

Bike is in rough shape as yesterday I was riding home and got run off the road. Went down as soon as I hit the gravel shoulder ended ip in the ditch. Bent 1 side of my bars, ripped of the indicators and pegs on the drivers side off, ruined my saddle bags and gas tank. I think the forks are bent also. All I got was a busted up knee and my hands are sore along with my back. From dragging the dike up out of the ditch. So the bike is gonna be sitting for a few weeks now till I source some parts and my knee heals up.

I measured my bars there 7/8" all I can find are Hd bars all 1" would they work? Or do I need to get the smaller ones? The tank I'm looking at getting a bigger one that I can rig up I hope. Also looking at some Hd pegs I'm hoping will work they looked the almost the same mounting brackets.

Thank God for the armour I always wear saved my skin literally.

I'm not even sure if this bike is worth fixing or just buy another one. And my wife is even more against me riding now. Fml

15. Raunchtastic

Raunchtastic New Member

Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad you're OK. There is that saying about two types of motorcycle riders: those who have crashed, and those who haven't crashed yet. I hope the person who ran you off the road at least stuck around to make sure you were OK.

You will need the 7/8 "metric bike" bars. The 1" won't work. You should be able to find a set you like from any major parts supplier or eBay/Amazon.

I would check the forks to see if they are bent. You can try to search classified/Craigslist for a parts bike or something without a title, then swap over whatever you need, strip the frame and sell the extra parts to get some money back.

Rooster53 likes this.
  16. Jaded Marxist

Jaded Marxist New Member

Na the driver did not stick around. And all the ppl who drove past no one stopped although I was on my feet dragging the bike back up outta the ditch instantly.

Anyways I got a sick set of bars, tank is usable but I'm gonna start looking for one anyways. I got a new barclamp for the clutch lever and mirror, new mirrors. Took the bike down to a custom bike shop here in my town. To have them look at the forkes he says they are strait.

I also bought a sissy bar off an old Honda and rigged it up looks good. Got a sppit fire windshield off a virago. Bikes looking real good just need a tank and a redo the seat. Still looking for quieter exhaust. Or get a baffold kit for the glass packs on it.

The bike is at shop waiting on a new cluster and speedo cable. Carbs synched and valves adjusted forest fluids all around. Should be finished tm can't wait.

StarGeneral likes this.