1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rattle in exhaust???

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BOUCHER, May 3, 2006.

1. BOUCHER

BOUCHER New Member

I'm new to the forum world,so here goes
    I recently purchased a 85 xj700xn maxim x. I've had it for about a month,I love it.Good performance, great handling.All in all it's a great bike. it's in pretty good condition,few chips in the paint, motor is strong,very nice, but i have a problem with the exhaust rattling. it doesn't do it all the time,some time at idel some times at acceleration. it sounds like nut is loose in the head pipe. I've taking the exhaust off,cleaned it out, nothing was in it, put it back on still rattles.please help, driving me crazy,and i dont want it to hurt the bike.

2. Brian750R

Brian750R Member

it could be a loose baffle, far as i know this would require replacing the mufflers, however if it is the baffles then you can driove it indefinitly like this, so long as you dont mind the noise.

Try using a flat bladed screwdriver to narrow down where the noise is coming from. Place your ear on the handle end, and the tip to pieces of the bike, its basicly acting liek a cheap stethescope.

3. BOUCHER

BOUCHER New Member

I've taking the exhaust completely apart,piece by piece,i can not find where the rattle is coming from nothing apeares to be lose or broke. could it maybe from the engine??

4. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Good call on the baffles - I have heard of the inner wall seperating and tapping...

5. DudeBozo

DudeBozo New Member

Is there a heat shield around any part of your exhaust system? Mine has them and one came lose a year or so ago, I just tightened it up and no problem.

6. BOUCHER

BOUCHER New Member

there is a heat shield at the cross over pipe but it's tight. noise sounds like it's at front of engine in the headers.

7. Brian750R

Brian750R Member

exhaust noises can be impossible to pin down, invest in an automotive stethescope at sears or elsewhere or try the screw driver trick, its your best bet.