1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Daughter looking for a bike

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dkavanagh, Jul 31, 2019.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

She was looking on craigslist... found a nice '81 Honda CM400, but I was thinking a smaller XJ Maxim would be good option.
    Anybody know of something in western NY? (I'll look at craigslist)

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Look for a low mileage Kawasaki 500 Vulcan. Two cylinder inline. Looks a lot like a Honda Rebel, but a lot more power. Easily cruise at interstate speeds. They stopped making them in 2009, but good ones are still out there. Great bike.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You will have to find out what type of riding does she wants to do? She will have to go and sit on some bikes and find out what feels good. We could tell you what to go out and get but she might not like the way it feels when she is sitting on the seat.

The reach of the arms and the flat feet on the ground for the first bike is a safety thing in my book. You should have a good bike dealer in your area, take her there with no pressure to buy, let her sit on a few bikes and take a look to see how she reacts to them. If it looks too big it might be, but you will also be surprised how fast that first riding season passes and it is time for a different bigger bike. IMHO

4. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

How do they compare to bigger Vulcans? I helped a friend fix his, it was a complete nightmare to work on.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

IMO, easy. The Vulcan 500 uses a slightly detuned EX500 engine.
    The most annoying part is valve adjustments (just because of the need to remove the cooling pipes for access).
    I can't think of anything specific to the Vulcan that would make it more difficult to work on than the EX500.

6. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

That's good, then. EX500 is super easy.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Those are great bikes, but they are powerful little things. I think there was a yr that bike had the fast quarter mile time for its class. I could be wrong...nice bike though.