1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

FZR 1000 EXUP

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by dkavanagh, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I don't see too much gas leaking residue on them. Here is hoping they are not too bad and the "O" rings for the fuel tubes are in good shape.

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have a PDF, a scan much like I was provided here for my 550. I actually won an e-bay auction with a ton of yamaha manuals, if anybody's looking for a particular one... But, I might try to get a printed one on e-bay for clarity.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hi Guys how do the carburettors work on the FZR? The XJ float bowls are at the bottom of the carburettors the FZR carburettors are on their side.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

They still have fuel bowls and floats in there, just like the V Magna and Saber setup, just not the same as the XJ's. They are at an angle when in, but the design of the bowles and floats make up for it.

Franz likes this.
  5. dkavanagh

Here's a side-view
    Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.22.48 AM.jpg

Franz likes this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That explains it thanks guys. I thought looking at the FZR pictures the float bowls looked quite shallow in comparison with the XJ. Would those be similar to downdraft carburettors by any chance?

7. dkavanagh

I believe they are considered down-draft carbs. They are maybe 10-15 degrees from vertical as mounted in the bike.

8. dkavanagh

Carbs come open.

9. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Dave,

Watched your vid on the carbs. They don't look too bad, a that's a plus. The idle mixture plugs are still intact and a good sign no-one has butchered up them before you bought the bike (except for the buggered up screw).

There is likely some gunk in the pilot mixture fuel feed and pilot jets. Also, make note of the main jet sizes as they are probably different sizes between the inner and outer carbs. And, ID each float to it's corresponding carb, as that will help you dial in the wet setting on each when you get to that step.

While you may be able to get away with not doing the throttle shaft seals, consider they are about 30 years old, and highly recommend replacing them. That way you know they won't be a source of a vacuum leak. Those should be the same shaft size as on the other Mikunis Yamaha used on their bikes.

Speaking of potential vacuum leaks, the intake manifold o-rings could cause you some trouble as well. Make sure you check those too.

Tony

Franz likes this.
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes they look like it nice FZR you got Dave I be watching your progress on it.

11. dkavanagh

Tony, You may be interested in this video!
    I didn't know about different jets for inner vs outer, I'll make sure to record each of those.
    Is it really critical to keep the same floats with the carbs? I say that because as I tilted the carb up on end, pins and floats started falling onto the bench! I only know #4 is the correct one.
    I do plan to break the rack. I wanted to look through the service manual some more to see what other steps it recommends so I do things more-or-less in the correct order.

12. dkavanagh

Sure enough, about the inner vs outer
    Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 8.58.01 PM.jpg

13. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

OK, watched the vid and looks like you've made some good progress.
    Just thought you should do you're best to keep the floats and float bowls with there respective carbs. The thought was trying to keep the volume in each the same, so potentially you can be closer to being dialed in when wet setting the carbs.

The black particles are from the flat slides chafing a bit over their lifespan. Take close look at where the plastic comes in contact with the metal. Keep in mind there's nothing to lubricate the mating surfaces, so excessive wear may necessitate replacement, but in reality, you should be OK with a good cleaning.

And one other thing, the throttle plate screws are staked and will require filing to make sure they back out without stripping out the throttle shafts. A small file is all you need and it's best to use a heavy tie-wrap to hold the throttle in the open position.

Tony

14. dkavanagh

Looks like my pilot jet is slightly larger than stock. The bike also has a more free-flowing muffler, so it's possible the original owner adjusted that jet to compensate? I'll have to read up on this stuff since I know next to nothing about jetting.

15. dkavanagh

All the important bits all layed out, awaiting new gaskets and a good soak in some carb cleaner. IMG_20190813_101505922.jpg

16. dkavanagh

I got things back together. I can tell it runs more smoothly, but with the default 2.5 turns on the mixture screws, it still pops like it's running lean. With how hard the plugs are to reach, I'm weighing options on tuning the mixture. This morning, I think I'll start with my thermal camera to identify colder cylinder(s) and start by enriching those 1/4 turn.

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

A colder cylinder will likely be richer than a hot cylinder.
    Lean cylinders run hot and melt pistons.
    Richen up the hot ones.

Franz likes this.
  18. dkavanagh

Ah, I was assuming 1 cylinder (#4 in this case) being a lot colder meant it was lean enough to not be firing. I have occasional popping in the exhaust. I ran it a few times between adjustments this morning. Next it uncovering the spark plugs to have a look. They were new when I started, so any coloring is since the carb re-build. Sadly, I have 8 hours of training starting in a hour and a half... pita to have to work!

19. dkavanagh

Looks like there's a little color on 1-3, but #4 looks clean as when it came out of the box! I'll measure the ignition wire resistance. If 1 is firing, 4 should also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  20. dkavanagh

Coil and cap resistances check out. Some variation, but within spec. Verified gap and replaced the plugs. Next, testing with tank off. I noticed prior, that the slides all react the same when blipping the throttle.