1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Parasitic draw?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by spacetiger110, Aug 22, 2019.

1. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

I've been having issues with my XJ900RK lately. If it sits more than a day or two, the battery is dead when I go to start it. Battery charges up no problem on a tender for a day or two, but I don't have a garage so I can't leave the tender on whenever I'm not riding.
    I tested for parasitic draw today and got a reading of -0.31. I'm not sure what normal is. Do I have a parasitic draw or is this baseline? If I don't have a draw, what should I look at next?

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

normal is zero. .31 (amps ?) would be about 38 ohms, look for a relay that's energized

3. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

I thought there was always a slight draw due to clock and gauges? When I pulled fuses, only pulling the main dropped it to zero. Guess I know where to start looking.

4. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

And yes, it was 0.31 DC amps

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

A failing voltage regulator will cause a battery to drain also. Un plug it and see

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

main fuse feeds the other fuses also used when motor is running to charge battery. start pulling other fuses. if the clock is killing the battery you need a new battery
    with key off only your clock would be running

7. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Only the clock is running with key off as far as I can tell. Pulling the other fuses didn't affect the reading on the multimeter. Only pulling the main.

8. XJ550H

clock and voltage reg connect directly to main fuse before ignition switch.R(ed) wire running to right goes to clock . clock also runs off of the signal fuse
    so as suggested disconnect the Voltage reg see if the drain goes away that will leave clock or bad battery. you are sure your not turning key to park?
    upload_2019-8-22_18-57-49.png

9. XJ550H

if you do not have a manual there is a guy on ebay selling digital copys for 5$ takes 3 minutes to get link.

if unpluging VR does stop drain problem unplug ignition switch that will leave the clock and possibly ignition fuse as it has a connection to voltage regulator

you could check ignition fuse by turning run switch off

when I say ignition fuse it is including the ignition circuit components which could be draining battery through Voltage regulator.
    the more I type the more it sounds like voltage regulator is the problem

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019