1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vacuum leak? crazy rpms, and now it won’t start.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by NikoRx, Dec 9, 2017.

1. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

It is pretty thick as far as washers go... and I haven't been able to find a part like that in the carbs
    upload_2018-6-8_12-33-41.jpeg

2. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

I got really worried that i took the carbs all apart for nothing when I saw how unworn they looked, they do bend a little. They aren't as dried out as some of the other o -rings i came across so thanks for the clarification. also should I replace the cover plunger cap? can those cause vacuum leaks as well?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The enrichment plunger covers are just there to keep crud out. They do not provide a vacuum seal; the enrichment plungers do that themselves.
    That is not to say that you can't have a vacuum leak at the enrichment plungers. If you do, then the solution is to clean the plungers and seats thoroughly, and use jewler's rouge to re-lap the plungers to their seats as well as making sure that the springs are pushing the plungers closed and the lifting linkage isn't binding and keeping the plungers lifted (not even a little).

4. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Do you have any thoughts on the little doughnut piece I was talking about? I posted the picture a few posts ago.

5. k-moe

The aluminum one? That's a replacement anti-tamper plug for the idle mixture screws. You can junk it.
    If you want the hole covered Chacal sells rubber plugs for that application.

[EDIT] Matti, don't :p

6. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Thanks for telling me that it was driving me crazy! so now that I have the carbs fully stripped down, is there some type of carb path I can toss the parts in minus rubber ones and let them soak? I have been reading through the church of clean. Also do I need to check valve clearance on a bike that has only 4k miles on it? I plan on getting a professional sync and color tune after I redo/check the electrical components. but I believe I found a decent guide here on how to check it I am just nervous about messing it up.

7. k-moe

1. I prefer Berryman's CarbDip (comes in a gallon bucket), but other people like other things. Just be sure to follow the directions on the can.
    2. You should check the valve clearances, and even take the time to see what shims it has. Clearance checks are to be done every 6,000 miles, and knowing what shims it has will save time when it comes to adjust the clearances (you can order ahead and swap them out on a pre-planned non-riding day instead of waiting).
    3. If you don't mess stuff up you won't learn anything.

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Berryman’s has a gallon with a basket. Looks like a paint can. Put parts in basket and soak. Keep all of carb 1 parts together, all of carb 2 parts together, etc.

Ifyou have not checked the valve clearances then go ahead and do it, order a new gasket first, cause that 30 year old one will most likely be toast. https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thre...valve-adjustment-with-pics-parts-i-ii.116006/ This is a good task to take on that will start to build your confidence in doing your own work.

The sync and color tune should be done by yourself also. Sync can be done on the cheap with a home made manometer or done easier with a nice Morgan Carbtune.

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Do you have any idea of chacal’s part number for the gasket? I don’t want to order the wrong thing.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

HCP863 standard bowl gasket

HCP18412 hi-performance bowl gaskets

11. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Thanks a bunch!

12. k-moe

The easiest way to order is to just tell Chacal what you need, and for what machine. He will give you a parts list, including the choices (if any) and a full price quote.

13. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Well it has been a while but I am finally putting in some good work in the bike. I have checked the shim clearances and 6/8 were out of spec. replaced the gasket and the doughnuts as well. really helped to build my confidence. I have the carbs completely disassembled and the parts just ordered. I am curious as to how long I should dip the carb parts for? I have seen some people say from as little to 30 minutes and as much as overnight.

14. XJ550H

30 minutes to an hour will do it the longer it sits the darker gray the carb bodies will get

15. XJ550H

the carb kits fit other bikes. That is why there are extra orings. also one may be for the drain screw some of them have an oring seal there will be a groove on the drain screw

16. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

Thanks I ended up finding that they were the caps, my bike had them removed from the PO.

17. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

So once that is done I dry them off and run compressed air through them correct?

18. XJ550H

ues compresses air work well to get passages clear. i also use spray cleaner into all the holes, I use little caps with the red tube stuck through them to seal holes for most pressure through the passages. sand end of red tube so it fits into carb bowl hole in the bottom. spin it in sand paper into a cone shape. and finish with air.
    heat shrink works good to build up tube .
    if you have an old set of jets those can be made into tube holders with a drill to fit red tube 1 jet for will fit main and pilot jet. .
    when doing emulision tube screw in jet and block the other end after spraying down inside of it it will clear holes. then install it cover needle hole and flush up through air jet. pilot jet will also flush through the air jet and mixture screw hole so cover jet hole and mixture hole to flush out little holes in carb throat. confirm all holes emit spray
    goggles eye protection required

I read about using shrink may be the jet thing too in the info overload IIRC guess I will have to read it again and the xj4ever catalog for all its little tidbits of knowlage. It is getting dark early these days.
    also all the non catalog links in the XJ4Ever - Supporting Vendor thread.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yes

20. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

so I am putting together the carbs and cannot find the photos of the springs on the throttle shafts!!! I am not sure of the proper positioning! does anyone have some good quality photos of the positions!? I am searching the sight and keep finding ones that appear to be blurry