1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1979 XS1100 Not a XJ900 but it will do for now

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 1, 2019.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The brown stuff you're seeing is just flux that wasn't cleaned off. I'm not seeing any cold solder joints.

Rooster53 likes this.
  2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1 on the flux, but it should be cleaned up. You can use isopropyl alcohol and since it has hardened a wood q-tip to scrape it a bit. Hard to say if someone removed the board to evaluate it or maybe they just re-flowed the connector pins. There is one suspicious point - may just be the photo??

upload_2019-8-30_20-43-37.png

k-moe likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Two of the diaphragms wanted to keep slipping out of the groves when I put the tops back on. Testing the carbs by using the finger over the hole method to make sure they slide down slower or stop was the trick. #4 I had to take back off three times before it would seal correctly. Not too sure what the issue was but this is a first for me. It did teach more bench testing from now on out to make sure they are working correctly.

Bottom line the bike pulls hard right to red line now! I can see this bike getting different bars and a different seat and it will be a fun bike.

Thanks to all again for hanging in there with me. It just ended up being attention to detail. :p

k-moe likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Now that the bike is running as it should, time to look into other important things.
    [​IMG]20190903_154152 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Tried to fix this more than once, just old slow and sticking on something. Time to look for a new to me one.
    Also the cam chain tension is leaking oil, I guess a common issue with this model. Have to do some looking to see what I want to do with that too.

5. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

What I did with mine was use an automatic tensioner from another model. I believe mine is for a Vision or some such thing. I believe the early V-Max or Venture tensioners ar popular on the XS1100. Go to XS11.com and see if you can search it. Someone posted a complete list of part numbers, so you may purchase a new one if you wish. I'll try to help you if you can't find the info. I did the modification a long time ago and I'm very happy with it. I have no leak and I make no adjustments. WIN WIN

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

JetmechMarty likes this.
  7. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

I've got the V-Max acct on mine.
    Here's the link if you can get onto the .com website http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35501
    scroll through to the bottom to see the list of Yamaha model that use the acct that will fit the XS1100. HTH.

JetmechMarty likes this.
  8. JetmechMarty

9. JetmechMarty

This is great data to have. XS11.com is currently unmoderated. It appears rudderless and perhaps the whole thing could disappear without warning. Copy it if you need it.

Thanks for looking it up and posting it.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Put the new speedo on the bike today. Ran a drill on the new/used one to make sure it works. Now to get those new wires coming from the timing pickup all wrapped up nice and get this thing on the rd. I got the title in the mail today too, that is a bonus for the fall in WI. we are getting down to a short time for the rest of our riding season.

11. JetmechMarty

Mine is just getting ready to start. It's still way too hot in Mississippi. My first excursion is a couple weeks away.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

LOL you are kidding right?! I used to ride all yr round in GA and AL when I was in that area. Just snow and ice would keep me off the roads for a day or two, that was it. Yes it is really hot down there in the summer. That just makes you go a little faster. I know that really does not help when it is that hot and humid. I just loved to ride to work hot or cold to see the looks on the locals faces.

Took the sliding back rest off today, that helped the looks of the bike! I also jumped on the bay and got a used Raptor auto chain tension device. That will help out on my bike as it is leaking oil from the OEM one. I don't like that.

We start to harvest the good old cranberries soon, so that will take up much of my time. So being able to get a few more days riding in next week between work days is a must.

13. JetmechMarty

Me too! From here, I can go to Central Florida for relief from the heat in the summer. I'm on the edge of that great big ditch. I'm sure winter will be very cold to make up for it! As a bonus, I rode last Saturday. The bike is covered in bugs. What a joy!

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Finally got that bold out of the chain tensioner, it would have been better to take the bike off the lift and work on it that way. When it was on the table the front tire could not be moved and that more or less hindered getting to the bottom bold. That was the one that was more or less stripped from PO or someone else trying to fix the oil leak.

This is what the old on the left and new on the right look like.
    [​IMG]20190920_093036 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20190920_093511 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    The old left one has some RTV on it, that was the fix action for the oil leak...I am guessing.

Took the time to re-tape the timing pick up wires too. That cleaned up the side of the bike. So not more oil leak and never have to worry about the chain tension as this is a auto device.

JetmechMarty likes this.
  15. JetmechMarty

You got it! The XS11 is now almost bullet proof. The only troublesome thing are those pick-up coil wires. Once properly fixed, they stay that way a long time.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I got those wires taken care of when I was chasing the diaphragm issue with the carbs. I find it interesting that the wires going to the pickups is something other than copper. I tired to solder those wires and no way would it flow to those wires. I even used flux to try to make it work, never did. I cut the plastic covering off some no solder barrel connectors and crimped and tapped all the wires up. Now to think about different bars and all the cables and controls to make it more of my kind of rider.

17. JetmechMarty

That's very interesting. I had not noted that. I even made a BLOB solder repair in a driveway once upon a time. If you still have the wire, cut it for a closer look. It may be plated. Some plating requires special consideration when soldering. I just made some wiring repairs to my bike using tin plated wire. I bought it from an aviation supplier, but I've been told marine suppliers have it as well. I prefer crimp splices, but a don't recall any special soldering considerations for tin plated wire. Keep in mind my training on the subject is old. Lead solder may be outlawed by now for all I know.

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it is for plumbing, get 60/40 solder for electronics. the flux for the new lead-free solder works with the 60/40

JetmechMarty likes this.
  19. XJ11Farmer

XJ11Farmer New Member

So, how did you replum that octo??
    Thanks
    Mark
    [​IMG]

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I blocked off the primary fuel line and just use the reserve hole for fuel in each petcock.. I ran the right side petcock to the first two carbs and the left petcock to the right two carbs. Another opting is to put a "Y" in line with each fuel line so that you can keep the fuel on and the Reserve separate and functional. The space you have under there to make the fuel line connections are minimal. Getting some good fuel line will work better as the angle and or possible kinking of the fuel line might happen.

Make sure you take a look at the ignition pickup wires under the right cover of the bike. You will be able to tell if there is a brake in the wire. That wire is not copper it is either nickel or some other type that does not like solder. If you ready through this thred you will see what I mean. Good luck and anything else I can help with let me know.

They are great running bikes, feel really nice to ride and have a great smile factor.