1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Marvel Mystery Oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nevpat, Sep 16, 2019.

1. nevpat

nevpat New Member

Hello everyone,
    While I am waiting for some extra money for what I need to try and start my 82 650 Maxim that I bought a month ago for $350, I am trying to do all the free work I can. The carbs are clean and I drained the oil and it was pitch black and thick. The bike hasn't run or even been turned over in 10+ years. I pulled off the valve cover to see if there was anything of concern inside and I was surprised to find a very clean area. The cam shafts and timing chain were very clean and there wasn't any sludge or rust of any kind. The timing chain had very little play and looked good. I'm thinking of pouring in a couple 16oz bottles of Marvel Mystery Oil over the camshafts and timing chain and let it drain through the oil passages to flush out any possible obstructions in the lubrication system so when I am ready to start it, the oil will flow freely. I am NOT going to try and start the bike with MMO in the pan. I will of course drain it out before adding recommended fluids when I am ready to try and start it. I put a little MMO in each cylinder and let it soak to see if the motor will turn over by hand and it does. I am more of a car guy and I know that this motor is quite different than a car motor and I don't want to damage any internal parts. Is this a safe thing to do for my bike? As always, thanks for your time.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

unless you drop the oil pan, your not going to get it all out. that's ok but count on another oil change shortly, 100 miles ? so don't put expensive oil in it

3. nevpat

nevpat New Member

Yeah, I figured I would be doing two back to back oil changes. I just wanted to clean out any possible sludge/obstruction in the lubricating system. So far this bike has surprised me. The carbs weren't too bad and the top end looks really good for a bike that hasn't run in over 10 years. Thanks.

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Marvel won't hurt , I add it to the fuel tank and put a 50/50 mix of stabil and MMO in winter in tank. I added it to engine oil with no problems.

nevpat likes this.
  5. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

As long as you don't have load on the gearbox you should be fine. Crank it over with the plugs out. The main thing I would be concerned about would be the clutch plates getting ruined and slipping.

6. nevpat

nevpat New Member

I'll turn it by hand. I am without battery and the started controls are fried. $350 bike has it's fair share of issues. It's on the stand and I'll take out the plugs and put it in gear and turn it a few turns. Thanks.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

When you get a chance you need to post some pics of this nice $350 find. Love bringing them back from the dead!

8. nevpat

nevpat New Member

I'm working on it. Just found a $175 parts bike that I may be purchasing.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Nice good luck on that...a whole bike for that would be great!