1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj 650 ko master cylinder seal kit new

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mike shannon, Sep 17, 2019.

1. mike shannon

mike shannon Member

Hi xj 650 KO UK bike
    Master cylinder seal kit bought new one in the kit wrong spring wrong seal that pushes in the spring the small nipple wrong size in length and diameter only spring replaced by seller not a eBay item
    Here are two photos one the new seal kit o plus aworkshop manual any thing missing
    Can't get any pressure
    Mike

The workshop manual has a extra item just in front of the circlip any idea what it is

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I don't think the manual shows an extra part, might just be the way the piston is drawn.

How are you bleeding the brakes? I'm betting the rebuild is okay, bleeding can be tricky. I had to crack the line joint at the MC while bleeding to get some stubborn air out.

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

You have the right parts, your problem is bleeding the brakes. I find it necessary to bleed the MC first before installing the brake line. I put a bunch of rags below the MC to catch the brake fluid drips while I'm doing it.
    Fill the MC with brake fluid, put finger over the outlet hole and apply a little pressure(your finger will act like a check valve). Slowly pump the brake lever to expell air and fill the main bore with fluid. Pump it a few times to get all the air out. Then put the main brake line on and bleed the brakes.
    Trying the pump brake fluid in a completly dry MC is almost impossible. A vacuum pump will also work to help pull the fluid into the MC .

a100man likes this.
  4. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

If you can find a way to pump brake fluid up to the M/C thru the caliper bleed port, you will be able to bleed your brakes and get a firm lever quickly. You can do a search in the Hang out lounge, "what the cat dragged home" will explain it more. It works!

5. mike shannon

mike shannon Member

hi
    thank you all i will try your tips and get back to all of you new pistons fitted as well inc new piston seal kits to front breaks
    mike uk

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's a rubber dust cover. It's not absolutely necessary, just make some effort to keep that area clean(ish).

7. mike shannon

mike shannon Member

Hi all
    Front break now fine bleed master cyclinder as instructed in the post I used a 10mm fine pitch bolt untill master cylinder had pressure then I had to push break fluid up from the calipers now front end dives when front break lever pulled hard ,only pushing the bike up the drive
    now to rebuild carbs next job
    Many thanks for all your help
    Mike uk

Attached Files:

jayrodoh likes this.
  8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Agree - used this very trick the other day on my GT250..