1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Jacking up bike

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Weezil51, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Weezil51

Weezil51 New Member

Hey folks ... Can I use a motorcycle floor jack under the 4 into 2 exhaust converter or will it not support the weight? If not, what's the trick to jacking the whole bike (85 XJ700) up? Thx. Weezil.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I would not put the weight of the bike on the collector.

3. Weezil51

Weezil51 New Member

Thanks. I was worried about the weight also. Just can't figure out the trick.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Tie the center stand so it can't close on you.
    Put enough weight on the rear of the seat to lift the front wheel off of the ground (rear wheel must be installed).
    If you have case guards, set jackstands under them for a bit of insurance.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. XJ550H

7. Weezil51

Weezil51 New Member

Wow... Am I having one of those DUH and embarrassing moments. And since I've already made a fool of myself, let me ask you this ... I've had this 700 for 11years and have yet had the strength to pull this up on it's center stand. What am I doing wrong now?! Tkx!

8. XJ550H

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    k-moe likes this.
  9. Weezil51

Weezil51 New Member

Thanks for the link. I've got both the large bike stand and the floor jack, I'm wanting to take both wheels and tires off for new rubber and to paint the black part of the wheels a different color. TKS again.

10. Weezil51

Weezil51 New Member

Tkx again ... BTW, I have done the center stand on a Vespa back in my youth!!...

11. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't find the center stand very difficult if done properly, but as an older operator with bilateral hernia surgery I will do this on occasion with my 750 Seca depending on how I am feeling.

Get three pieces of 3/4 inch wood, place two of them so that you can roll the front and rear wheel atop, and use the third piece for the side stand since the bike is raised a bit. With the bike raised a bit the amount of effort to lift it on the center stand is significantly reduced. This may be an issue for those vertically challenged to maintain adequate stability.

Not sure if it will be the same on the XJ700, but with the 750 Seca the 3/4 inch wood can be removed as there is still a gap between the rear wheel and the board once lifted. I will remove the rear one, then lift the front to remove the front board. I don't take it off the center stand as in the video, I typically find it much easier to straddle and rock the bike to take it off the center stand.

You can also note in the video that he is wearing a pair of hard sole shoes, which really makes it easier to lift as it's just easier to get the leg into it.

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

take a look at the frame, up under the steering neck are there a few threaded holes? if you fashion a plate that can bolt into those holes and weld legs to it, to get a
    "A" or a "I" with the height a little longer than will fit.(2 or 3 inches) Now do the center stand, take off the back wheel, have someone push the back down until your stand fits under the front and bolt it on. both wheels up and it's stable. just to be sure, tie the handle bars to the ceiling if you can