1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I would be eternally grateful and appreciate any help please

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Roy Kauffman, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

So I bought a xj750, rewired this thing 12 times now and even went to bobber wiring, figured I'd add to that as I went just need it running. Don't know what's going on it what I'm doing wrong, this is a learning project for me and I'm super excited about it. I then bought an 1100 that I believe is also an xj series and it looks as though the rest matter cylinder is missing, along with I'm not sure what else. Anyone willing to help it'd be appreciated more than you know, gotta get one of these going to get back to work.. All and I'll send pictures, provide answers, any more info you need that I have, it's yours. Having trouble getting manuals and diagrams, not working right now due to transportation issues so... Money is tight to say the least. Thank you in advance I've already learned so much from the other threads, figured if reach out personally.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to XJBikes

Start your own thread in the XJ Technical Chat section on each bike, or better yet start with the one you think would be easiest to get going. Pictures are always helpful but sometimes you need 5 posts before they are allowed. Ask away with detailed questions about the bike - on the XJ750 you mentioned rewiring, but did not mention what the current problem is.

Just about everything related to these bikes can be found here:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

xj750 maxim or seca what year.

4. XJ550H

1982 XJ1100 10M in the vin

MODEL NAME: XJ1100J
    STREET NAME: 1982 XJ1100 Maxim
    MODEL ID CODE: 10M
    FRAME ID: 10M
    SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 000101

if your from Canada or your 1100 is it was in Canada for 3 years 11G would be in the vin

1100's:

1982 XJ1100 Maxim USA: 10M
    1982 XJ1100 Midnight Maxim Canada: 11G

1983 XJ1100 Maxim Canada: 11G

1984 XJ1100 Midnight Maxim Canada: 11G

5. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

Thank you for the welcome, as well as the help, I'll look at that here directly and I will absolutely take your advice And post in the other thread. I'll also see what happens when I try to post some pictures. I appreciate you sir and thanks again

6. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

1982 Maxim, the 1100 I believe is also a Maxim but I'm not sure.

7. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

It's definitely the 10m and I'm almost positive it's also an 82

8. XJ550H

82 is the only year US XJ1100 the earlier ones were XS1100

9. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

Oh, so not only do I get my birth year, 1100cc and an awesome bike in the series, I get to feel exclusive too.... Nice. Well I spent the entire day just doing what I can to clean her up a bit...tried cleaning the majority of the connections.. the sleeve that holds the throttle cable was broke so I had to take the metal one from my xj750, much better design, so that are up some time.. all Im gonna do to try and fire her up is reattach the handlebar assemblies, reconnect the wires, and change out the fuse box to in line fuses.. any tips, time savers, or anything before I try and start her up?

10. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

11. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

12. Rooster53

I could only find the G/Y wire on the front brake switch, so that would be the right control assembly - it is paired with a Br wire. Could be someone installed a brake switch in place of the clutch switch, but the wiring diagram shows bullets for the brake and a two pin connector for the clutch, so that would mean either the switch termination or the main harness would need to be modified to work. The clutch switch per the diagram I have is L/Y and B/Y,

13. Roy Kauffman

Roy Kauffman New Member

Could I have maybe switched the assemblies? I am pretty sure ask the other writer cookies matched but I'll check again, would g you happen to be willing to share the diagram or schematic with me? It'd be awesome,and note I've hooked everything including the battery up,turn the key and there isn't even a draw for power,there's a quick connect off the harness that goes to nothing,or the other half is missing I should say. I think whoever removed the battery may have taken it. Is there a quick connect going from the battery to the solenoid or the battery from the harness?

14. Rooster53

I don't have a 1100, but per the diagram there should be a single connector as part of the battery positive cable that mates with the main harness. This wire will supply battery power to the main fuse, which appears to be separate from the fuse box. The very large gauge wire on the battery positive should connect to the starter solenoid.

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Roy, check your inbox