1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You guys are gooood.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Came home late as train was delayed due to police action (got to love Chicago) ate dinner , hopped on bike had not rode for a few days . Felt so good to ride , bike is running so good. To bad it is going to rain next few days .

3. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

XJ550H, if I remember right from my starter-rebuild post, there is really only one press-in shaft seal on the operating end of the starter. The stock/OEM bearing in the starter is not a sealed-type bearing. However, I did give Len at XJ4Ever the part number I used for a sealed-type replacement bearing, and I believe he stocks it now. So if Tim O replaces the standard lip-type shaft seal AND the standard bearing with the sealed-type bearing, there will essentially be three seals on the motor end of the starter, making it practically impossible to get oil inside (unless the starter case is cracked).

XJ550H likes this.
  4. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

I just installed the 5G2-10, it's working fine, but I found two wires below the engine near to the oil filter cap, and another one like a ground wire but it is blue, any idea of what are those wires for? I just made a new harness, and I did not plug some of the wires, but I think one of those is for the oil temperature right?

5. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Did an oil change and looked into why the side stand safety switch wasn't functioning. Found out that the switch is just fine but the side stand is not making contact with the switch when its down. Its not in alignment with the plunger. I don't see any way to adjust either the switch or the side stand. 20191005_145521.jpg

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your bracket is upside down stand crop.jpg

Franz, Pizzaman and chacal like this.
  7. XJ550H

if it is sky blue it is your neutral switch wire 1 end plugs into harness other end hooks to neutral switch.
    no oil temp just level . photos of wires would help

8. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Well that was simple. Thanks!

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Moved her into the big shed for maybe winter storage...:eek:

Franz likes this.
  10. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

TY for your hel bro. Where do I have to connect those 2 wires? The problem is that my harness is not the original one, I made a new one because the bike was totally distroyed and the previos owner gave it to me 20191006_164649.jpg 20191006_164527.jpg

11. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

Another thing is, can I add a swith to turn off the bike instead of doing it with the ignition key? Also, my front and rear lights are always on, is there a way to turn them off during the day? 20191006_174328.jpg

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

My bike is in the house in bits. Be busy building it for next year hopefully.

13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

#1 and #2 header pipes met the wire wheel and then blue/green polishing bars. New header gaskets installed. The right rear shock also finally got a disassembly and shine-up. Will finish up the pipes up this weekend. Maybe, big maybe, shakedown run to the end of the street and back.

14. XJ550H

kill/run switch does that job or do you want to kill all power to bike?

you can do that too but will need a good 20 to 30 amp switch

headlight is on per DOT spec but you could add a switch to the headlight relay to kill power to the relay

15. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

TY for all your help, I'll be working on that... Something happened to my bike today, after I visited the car wash, just went back home and I found some smoke below the fuel tank, immediately the bike turned off, so I verified the wiring and it was burned out, the Brown and red/white wires fused each other.

I changed the wires and it's working fine, but the horn and the side lights were not working, do you have any posible cause for that?

Btw, my battery accidentally fell down into the battery box that I made, and the + and - terminals where involved, so I Wonder if this may have caused this problem

Sorry for my english... I'm just learning

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  16. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Well good and bad news! 6 of them came out without much of a problem!! 2 of them were not so lucky.

Any suggestions for removing these headless bolts?

Also while all of this stuff is apart, is there anything I should replace? or clean up? A friend of mine suggested soaking the carbs in Kero to clean them (I have no idea if that is okay or not) and I was going to replace all the rubber hoses.

17. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Did they snap off flush or is there any protruding out of head? It is difficult but if it is broke off flush file flush , get several new quality drill bits and a good quality easy out. A 90 degree drill is ideal (sorry I can't recall exact size ,but I have extractors you put in a socket ) the other way you can try is to use ALUMN in the spice aisle of the grocery store. Build a dam of modeling clay around the broken fastener, mix it up and pour into dam, put a heat lamp close to this ...and WAIT it will take 24 to 48 hrs ...the ALUMN will dissolve the fastener but will not harm the head, if you do it right ,you will have a nice clean fastner hole.

Danath256 likes this.
  18. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

It helps if you center punch the bolt after you file it to stop the drill bit from wandering.

Danath256, Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  19. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

[​IMG]

Starting to look like a ride now. Wiring going into the light bucket needs a reroute. Waiting on carb boot clamps now. Tank will be primed this week and plumbed up for some runs in the neighborhood.

Franz likes this.
  20. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

It isn't flush, there is maybe a 1/8 inch on the one bolt and 1/4 inch on the other. I bought a right angle drill attachment because I figured I would need to punch and drill this out. I can't tell if you are serious about the spice (if so this is awesome)

Thanks guys! I'd love to just get at least one freakin season out of this bike! Since the carbs are out now... Is there a way I can clean them up without tearing the whole thing apart? I'm really scared it will never run again if I open them up. (A friend suggested soaking them in Kero, but I have no idea about that)