1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help me undo the damage someone did to this classic bike

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Brian Harris, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

Still not firing, just light popping and backfire
    First measurement 640 on one pair and 630 on another
    Took off timing cover and warmed up the whole thing with a hairdryer thinking maybe the tolerances were off and maybe after sitting in the sun a while things expand ever so slightly and they work
    Still not firing , resistance came up to about 670 on one and 660 on another. When I tested this the other day they were at around 680 ohms each but it was late afternoon and warmer. I tried checking resistance and trying to start while moving wires etc , still nothing.

one relevant fact here also.... a while back I had found the grey wire worn through its insulation under the tank. I fixed the section even soldered and heat shrunk it but the possibility exists the grey wire ( ground out of the tci for i believe the 2/3 pair ) may have touched the frame or tank at different points of time.

I would also state my bike seems haunted when cold and years ago ran great after it was hot. Never a problem once she was warmed up but could burn a starter out trying to ride in the winter. Factory fuse block was completely replaced with a blade block unit also but no change

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That shouldn't hurt the TCI, but if the key was left on for an extended period the ground on the grey wire might overheat the coil. If the coil was damaged, then possibly later on the TCI could follow if the coil primary resistance had gotten too low. Not currently an issue here though as you have replacement coils.

The cold starting issue sounds more like clogged enrichment wells in the float bowls - a very common occurrence.

So good readings on the pick-ups again - looks like it's back to pacing waiting on the other TCI to try.

3. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

Oh I’m absolutely positive that satans custom designed crap catcher aka the enrichment bowl jet is clear on each carb. The spray on each with a can of carb cleaner shot about ten feet when I finally got them clear

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had an intermittent pick up bike would start then die 5 miles later start up again after bike was cold
    the failing pickup caused the resistor in cap to disintergrate. ended up getting new caps and pickups.

5. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

Hmmm well someone want to sell me some working pickups? I have TDI on the way but if it isn’t too much money I’d like to have another set of pickups on hand anyway. It definitely has done that on me before as well where it seems great for a few miles then wants to leave me stranded.

I think the caps were within spec when I changed them but the coils were about 4 ohms? When I replaced them

6. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

And somehow this evening, she fired up on all four cylinders and all four pipes got hot. I tried to ride it around the block but it just completely bogged down under load and had to push it back home. Ugh! But at least this some sort of progress

7. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Following

Just saw this. If you’re still needing parts I may be able to help.

8. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

Thank joe. I’m looking to get a working set of pickup coils. Mine is either a TDI problem or the pickup coils. I’ve got a known good TDI on the way so if you have a working set of pickup coils I’d be a buyer.