1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 Aftermarket Exhaust

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ben Hinz, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Ben Hinz

Ben Hinz Member

Last year I put a Mac 4-1 exhaust on my Maxim. Im not a huge fan of the sound in general and it has a terrible raspy/rattling sound between 4-5k rpm that drives me nuts. I'm assuming this sound is coming from the baffles rattling. Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting a deeper sounding muffler? I would try ripping out the baffles but I don't want it to be crazy loud.

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

If there's a warranty remove them and send them back. If you alter them they're yours.
    Cheers, 50gary

3. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

Got one also on my Seca which I just installed I noticed the baffle is moving in the muffler as it revs and it’s super loud in that same range. The baffle seems to only be attached via some clip on the inboard side and I wonder if that makes them rattle

I love the look of the factory exhaust but a redneck made sure my headers were nothing but rattle can flat black and rust and took off the factory mufflers. The 4-1 is better than open pipes and I wanted some kind of baffle for at least a little back pressure but I feel like this is just waiting to get pulled over as it sounds like I’m doing a moto gp practice run just going to the corner store. My neighbors don’t appreciate it I’m sure

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that rpm on the seca 650 is a common complaint for vibration