1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie w/ electrical question.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jeff M, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M New Member

I'm working on my first bike project and got a 1982 XJ750. Needs basically everything except frame and engine. I'm working on building a carb from some parts I have and one from E-bay. The question I have is can I use aftermarket electrical parts like ignition coils, relays, etc. or do I have to find used OEM electrical parts?

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

depending on how you wire it, you don't need any relays
    3 ohm 750 honda coils work

raskal likes this.
  3. raskal

raskal Active Member

to expand on Polock's reply
    1981-1983 Honda CB750 coils work in out bikes, and have the advantage that the plug wires are not permanently attached to the coils

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    Welcome to the site...if you click on the upper right hand corner icon, you will come to a page with lots of information. Take the time to do some reading of those links and it will really help you out.
    Once you have 5 posts, you will be able to post a pic. We always want to see the project bike.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

maxim or seca?

you can do minimal wiring or are you looking for a main harness?

you will need the tci oem as far as relays if you go with oem harness you should use oem relays most can be bypassed if needed. if you are planing on leds you can/wwill need an aftermarket flasher.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

IMO you should not bypass or eliminate any of the relays. Safety matters.

Rooster53 and Franz like this.
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

but sometimes people need to drive away with the stand down or start in gear. it might remind them to get their head in the game before they get hurt

jayrodoh and kerriskandiesinc like this.
  8. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Once you've done it once...you'll likely never do it again!! ...

Timbox and jayrodoh like this.
  9. Jeff M

Jeff M New Member

Great responses so far. The bike is a Maxim. Actually the frame is a 1985 750 and the engine is a 1982 750(700). Don’t ask why. Just is. So after I get the carbs together I was going to put pods on instead of looking for an air box even though I’ll probably have to re-jet it. Don’t want to look for and spend dough on OEM airbox.

Not sure what to do about exhaust. Any thoughts?

Great tip on the coils as I will need two. I’m a bit confused on the advice on the electrical. Seems like I need the OEM TCI unit which I have but don’t know if it works. Beyond that I’m not trying to restore the rest of the bike to spec. Just want to get the engine running first and then make it look nice. I would like the ability to add all the bells and whistles to the electrical down the line but want to start with the basics to get it running at a minimum cost. What do I do next?

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

find yourself a parts bike. Buying everything as you go will cost a fortune.

11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

The old "Honey I need bike in order to fix this one." Close second to "Honey I need another bike to ride while I fix this one."

12. XJ550H

1985 750 frame ?

82 750(700)?

did you run frame vin and motor vin through the decoder?

no 700 in 82
    85 750 woulds be from canada

a place for short vin and a place for long vin
    http://www.dissingermoto.com

13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I've argued this before, I'll say it again, there is no such thing as an 85 XJ750 Maxim air cooled.
    They are all 700's.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  14. kerriskandiesinc

Dunno, I had a H reg, 1991 XJ750 Maxim (import) when I lived in the UK...:D

Admittedly, it was a 'left' over '83 though !!:p

15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Although we had nothing to do with Reagan's tariffs up here in Canada we still got 700's.
    We even saw XJ700's for a year longer than the US, I think they were discontinued in the US after 86.
    We have 1987 models up here.

The Maxim-X is of coarse another matter, all Canadian models are 750cc, which should mean low production numbers.
    I'm not aware that they were originally sold anywhere but Canada.

16. kerriskandiesinc

No we never got the option of the Maxim in the UK/Europe as far as I know...even our 750 Nighthawk was transformed into the CBX750 Sports bike

I just happened to already have two very tired XJ's and a tired 900R (Ninja) in my despatch/courier garage when I saw an ad by Wheels International for brand new, in the crate Yamaha Maxim 750's.......a little bit of detective work...pre internet days, had me convinced this was ALMOST identical to the UK Seca 750...Engine/shaft drive wise.....save for 'custom' parts ( seat, bars, tank etc) .......the price was too good to miss, and I knew I could, and did transform it into a regular Seca 750 ( well almost, tank, seat bars were pretty easy, I left the Maxims incidental running gear alone....lights, clocks, etc, etc)

Even had to 'run it in'.....it was 3 miles on the clock when I bought it......and over 125K when I part exe'd it for a disastrous Suzuki RF900R ..... :(

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I've wondered about that. So there is actually no geometry different between 750 Maxim/Seca other than the seat, handlebars and back wheel?
    Apologies to the original poster, we got way off your topic here.

18. kerriskandiesinc

I'm pretty sure the frames were NEAR identical, but still some 'tabs' for equipment were not quite in the same places......also, I didn't have time to change out things like f/r mudguards, and fittings, indicators, light panels, speedo etc, etc those are quite different.....but yes, mostly things could be made to 'fit'....in a manner that was safe, though not always 'aesthetically' pleasing ( I'd bought the Maxim as both my ex g/f bike....she ended up going with a much nicer Honda CBR400RR.....and a backup 'courier bike'....So my intentions were Seca ( bigger) fuel tank/seat, side panels only to keep the look, and increase the 'courier' functionality....but everything else was Maxim....It ended up being quite a bit of a Frankenstein bike...but the idea was to NOT ruin as much of my 'new' Maxim accessories as possible.......those I returned to a tired but still quite cosmetically nice Maxim when I (stupidly ) part exe'd her for that horrible Suzuki !!

Also I kept the Maxim wheel setups so 19" F/16" rear...handling wasn't THAT badly compromised from my Seca.....

ACTUALLY I had a really bad accident on her.....not my fault, a lorry (truck) ran me over on a roundabout......she was close to being Written off...(totaled) and as a 'Yank' Bike in Blighty, the insurance assessor could find little to no references for parts, so my friendly Yamaha dealer did a 'deal' with me, the bike and the insurance company, in which both myself ( the bike) and the dealer came out ahead, and the Maxim was soon back on the road!!

I also got a 'pull/tug' from the Coppers, for a slightly out of place numberplate ( registration plate)...being a Maxim, the UK plate was angled downwards/inwards a la the rear sissy bar arrangement, and the coppers were NOT happy about that< yes, they are very serious about those minor things, over there !!

apologies once again, poster .... :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  19. XJ550H

that is why i asked him to run his bike through the vin check for motor and frame

20. Jeff M

Jeff M New Member

Veered a little of topic but I learned a little. Finding a donor bike to pull from is what I’m thinking about now so I don’t spend a fortune. Correct me if I’m wrong but other than the TCI module as far as electronics I can use the parts from almost any other bike regardless of make.