1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Removing caliper pistons (the easy way)

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Cattleman XJ, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

Foreward:
    I’m eternally grateful for the existing write up on rebuilding the brake calipers but the piston removal section left a bit to be desired- especially fighting with plugging the transfer ports to remove the second pot.

Well start with the calipers completely removed from the bike, fluid drained, pads off, and the calipers split. I chose to clean everything first.

1. Remove the bleeder screw. I had to attack mine with vice grips.

2. Reinstall the transfer port seals

3. Lay down a piece of thin rubber strip covering the transfer ports only. I used a piece of bicycle inner tube that was split (single ply).

4. Reassemble the 2 halves of the calipers and tighten down the bolts. You need them tight but don’t overdo it

5. Insert your rubber tipped air nozzel into either the banjo bolt port or the bleeder port. It doesn’t matter which one you start with because the 2 halves are now isolated. You might need to push down on each piston to get things freed up. It took more pressure than I thought to get them moving, even running at 40 psi.

6. pressure will build up inside the caliper. I chose not to go balls out and pop the things out under full pressure. When you see them moving, back the tip out and let the pressure escape. Feather the trigger on your air nozzle and go slow. It’ll still make a satisfying pop.

7. do the other side the same way. By doing each side with the calipers assembled, it alleviates the unnecessary dangers of sending a hunk of metal flying at your skull, your fuel tank, wife’s car, etc.

8. Disassemble your calipers and proceed with the usual process.

As my username implies, I’m a cattleman and farmer. We’re all about ingenuity. I hope this can help others do the job faster, easier, and more safely.

mods, if you want to add the images into my actual write up feel free. Otherwise, they’ll be at the bottom for viewing. Hopefully they post in the correct order but it’s pretty self explanatory.

Attached Files:

chacal likes this.
  2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth: if the air gun does not push the piston out, connect your grease gun to the bleeder port and start pumping, works every time.

Mezzmo, Franz, k-moe and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

That’s a neat trick! Never thought about it but the bleeder screw IS shaped like a zerk

bonus points if you have a pneumatic gun

Tim morris likes this.