1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Other Classic Bikes you wished 'they' still made

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by kerriskandiesinc, Nov 6, 2019.

1. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

11765948.jpg 11765968.jpg I'll start the ball rolling with the closest I can think of, to our beloved XJ's...the UK/Euro only GT550/750 Kawasaki....now I would LOVE to find one of those, over ere!!!

They were definitely buzz bombs....moreso the 550 ( rode and owned both, in the UK) but the 550 COULD emulate the speed of the XJ650....and I'd suggest the 750 was a tad quicker than the XJ7....little lighter steering ( as was the 550) and being 750, little less 'buzzy'.....but being a Kawasaki certainly ( somehow) needed a 7th gear !!

Both were equally as reliable.....my 550 covered 140K miles over a couple, three years, didn't really hear of too many problems....they were notoriously buzzy though....even with the aforementioned 6 speeds......often wondered how good the XJ7 would have been with a 6th gear overdrive, for cruising..

Both could hit 50MPG easily.....the air shocks were a tad bit more comfy than the XJ's......seat about equal, maybe the XJ's was a wee bit comfier, but the lack of a 'true' tourer a la the XJ750 stilted the GT750's usefulness.......no 'factory' touring accessories.

Always wondered why Kawasaki didn't go all in and offer a GT900.....both the 550/750 sold quite well in the UK/Europe.......why were they never offered in the US, I wonder??

Also their 'copied' lcd screens, I always thought were. nowhere near as cool as the groundbreaking XJ's......

Attached Files:

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Wow! That is pretty. Nice size, just right in all dimensions and directions. I agree, it would be very nice to have or to have had. I bet some bar end weight would help mute the buzziness.
    Sweet.
    John

3. kerriskandiesinc

Maybe....but I believe, IF I remember the bars were semi rubber mounted

The buzziness I refer to...perhaps not the best way to describe it, is more of a busy-ness....Kawasaki's...almost since time immemorial have 'needed' a 7th gear, they ALWAYS seem to feel buzzy/busy in the engine department!!

They were very nice to ride, almost indestructible, suspension was air both ends, but the bike handled very well.....although they always 'seemed' more 'fragile' than the XJ's.....they really weren't.!
    The 550 would do 95-100......all day long, all month long, and never complain!!

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Time passes so quickly I remember when those GT 750's were in the dealers showrooms. That is a nice 750 all the same.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  5. kerriskandiesinc

I Remember when the 'Wankel' RE5 Suzuki was fresh in dealers showrooms!!!

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So do l there were hard to sell a motorcycle dealer near me had a few on them on display. I prefer the bikes from my youth but to be fair about it l have not tried the more modern machines.

7. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

I did a lap of the TT circuit in 1992 on a gt750, an American had realised his dream to come to the TT, he hired the gt in London and rode up north for the ferries, we met him in a pub on the island Geoff Kobus I seem to remember.
    He was a big man, dwarfed my tzr 250 but we had a 1 lap swap, brilliant times.

jayrodoh, Franz and kerriskandiesinc like this.
  8. kerriskandiesinc

I mis the Mountain mile......done a few laps on my 900R....my little 400RR Honda < quick as F^%&....and a couple of others...think my 900R was the fastest 'Mad Sunday I've ever done, but the 400RR...reving to 16,500RPM @ 140 was the most fun!!

Wayne Stuart-Cole and Franz like this.
  9. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

One of the regulars came into the yard on a new (to him) bike, a GPz.
    But no, it was the bodywork from one transplanted onto his old GT550
    Said it went on no problem - as far as I recall, he said it was the same fixing points on the frame.
    He ran it that was for a couple of years, quite happily.

[​IMG]

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can really call this a classic, but it is not made anymore. I sure miss this bike, sold it to buy a ZX14, it was a mistake. Sure wish I could find one again in a good price range. I changed the ZX14 to a sport tour bike and ended up selling. Current replacement is a Bandit 12S FI.
    [​IMG]2003-Kawasaki-ZRX1200Rb by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Franz likes this.
  11. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I had an 84 Kawaski 550 LTD had shaft drive ,air ride shocks had bike for 9 years should have kept it . I found it to be a smooth running bike , was extremely reliable , wish Kawasaki would bring these back or the Zephyr 550 & 750

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Kawasaki-ZR1100-Front-Left.jpg
    I like this one too. I would go for the 1100.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

This was how I toured back in 2011/2012. Tank bag, tail bag and a credit card.
    The 110 ft-lbs of that MT was intoxicating.
    Insuring a 1670 sportbike became a problem so I sold it.
    Dave on tour June 2012.JPG

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^^That is a V twin I would own! No USA sales, sure once again you guys get all the cool bikes :) I bet that is a hooligan bike from hell! Well I will never see one or own one, but thanks for sharing.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice bike Simmy. My cousin had an Aprilia the only V twin I have tried.

16. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I've only had 2 V-twins, the other was a Honda Firestorm, Superhawk in the USA.
    I'm 59 this year and don't really need fast bikes anymore.
    All my touring/commuting is KLR650 today.
    I also have street plates on my KTM 525EXC, that is a fast bike.
    I love thumpers!

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The only single cylinder machine l owned was an MZ TS150 to learn and then pass my test. Didn't look great but it got me to work when l was an apprentice in the 1970s. I liked the Yamaha SR 500 and the XT 550. I don't need fast bikes either any more XJ is fast enough for me.

18. kerriskandiesinc

Loved my '81 Guzzi Le Mans, MK 2,I mean, it was already outclassed in the 80's...CBR1100 was a 145MPH beast, as were the big Suzukis, GSX series, and Kawasaki 1000's....Guzzi out handled them all though

Moto-Guzzi-850-Le-Mans-II-1978-700px.jpg

I always wanted one of these, hard to find, not a big seller.....

2008-MotoGuzzi-Breva1200Sporta.jpg

Franz likes this.
  19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if any MZ's were imported to NA. Not much came from beyond the iron curtain.
    I remember when I bought my Velorex sidecar the dealer was importing CZ motocrossers.
    Both from Czechoslovakia (at the time). CZ are actually back in production with Czech & Italian input.
    The Czech's and East German's had all the secrets for two-smokers before the Japanese got the plans.

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That's right the MZ's were made at the motorcycle works Zschopau and the engineer responsible for MZ two strokes was Walter Kaaden and as the article below states machines like Yamaha’s RD250 and 350LC, Suzuki’s RG500 and Kawasaki’s scary H2 750 triple would never have existed if it wasn’t for the two-stroke’s reign of terror in GPs. Didn't know you had a sidecar. I have never tried an outfit it will be a lot different handling than a solo motorcycle. My friends at the time had RD 250's, one had a 250 Kawasaki two stroke triple and I eventually got a Suzuki GT 250. They are all classics now I liked the sound of the Suzuki GT 750 it was named the Kettle in the UK due to the water cooling. Great times they were.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2012/december/de1712-the-ernst-degner-story/