1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for factory mufflers for a seca 650

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Brian Harris, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

So my 82 seca 650 came without mufflers and the headers painted flat black. I’ve put a 4-1 on it and like how it runs but it’s really loud and I love the look of the factory mufflers on the seca but don’t care for the megaphone look of the maxim mufflers. Are any of the other seca mufflers the same ( mainly the 550?) design and would fit?

Does anyone have a great condition set off the seca 650 or whole exhaust from it?

Or given the rarity of these should I just give up :(
    I’ve already spent more on the bike than it’s worth by far but my daughter loves it and I don’t see us getting rid of it.

On a completely unrelated note, wow the bike runs so much different with the airbox. It has this really nice little boost in the lower to mid rpms as it starts to come into the cam profile that it never had before. It’s like I can feel the slides opening properly in the carbs and the bike seems so much more enjoyable to ride at reasonable rpms.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the air box makes all the difference or yamaha would have gone with pods

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Brian—

Exhaust-
    EVERYONE who has a 650rj is always watching. Good luck. That said,
    I have SOME exhaust parts.....send me a private message

Airbox-

Gee.... I think that’s been stated SOOOOO many times now LOL:)

dfox

XJ550H likes this.
  4. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

They SOUND faster with pods, as the 'intake' rush is quite loud!!....but yes, mine used to have a noticeable 'dip' in mid range before it came back in....FELT faster, but looking back, I think that 'dip' was just more pronounced, which probably made it a good deal slower

Plus wet weather...like REALLY wet riding for hours on end became a bit of a struggle

Only plus was the carbs, motor came out and back in Soooo much faster !!

XJ550H likes this.
  5. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

I will say that mine now with the 4-1 seems to have a dip in the mid range and pops on deceleration so I’m assuming it’s a bit lean. Just good god I don’t want to pull those airbox boots and carbs back off right now. It just feels also like when I hammer it at mid rpms it almost has a lag before it wants to start pulling.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  6. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

Here’s how the bike looks now which is a lot better than how it started

Attached Files:

joe elliff likes this.