1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Called the bike shop today

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ralf, May 3, 2006.

1. Ralf

Ralf New Member

I talked to the guy at the shop today and to re-wire the bike is about $500. I also want a smaller headlight and smaller turn lights. He said the 500 will cover the labor on that as well, but I pay for the parts. I will bring my bike to him on the weekend so we can go over the style of lights I want.

Now I'm thinking of getting rid of the dummy lights, the tach and speedo as well. I just want a small speedo above the headlight. I plan on doing a lot of stuff to my bike and most of the work I can do myself, but the wiring I will leave to the pros.

By the time I'm done, it won't look like the old 650 anymore. It will have a lot of me in it.

Handle bars
    Tank
    Forward controls
    Seat
    Fenders
    Oil cooler
    Paint job ------ and the list goes on.
    I'm also thinking of having the motor rebuilt and bored out in the winter. And next spring I'll be riding a new bike.

2. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Sounds exciting. Don't forget to post pictures and details of your progress and current ride :wink:.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

I gotta get a job as a bike mechanic. $500? Ouch! Hope your mech knows what he is doing. I just got a real eye opener on a buddies Jeep. He did the 4 banger swap for an inline 6 and swore up and down the harness was stock. Bugger wouldn't run and we had useless (thanks Chiltons) schmatics. 2 months later he has it hauled over to the shop that normally does these conversions where they proptly tell him that he should have replaced the harness to begin with (turns out he bought the conversion from them and, against their recommendation, did not buy the $400 harness they told him they would need. DOH!). The harness he had had been hacked by some previous turd and of course it was hidden out of sight (I never saw where this hacking was located dispite my visual of the harness on the vehicle). Bottom line, get it done correctly the first time, expend the necessary cash to ensure a quality job (chrimped, soldered, and sealed connections). Don't skimp or you will regret it. Good luck on the project and as Sno mentioned, post some pics to inspire us please!

4. Ralf

Ralf New Member

The last time this bike had new wiring was in 1981, so it's all from the ground up. I want all the old stuff gone and new stuff put in. The bike is 25 years old this year, so it's time for this. On top of that I want new lights. I can't wait till it's all done. Now I have to go to bed so I can work in the morning to pay for all of this stuff. LOL I will take pictures but keep in mind that it will take time for all of this. I'm not made out of money you know. LOL

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hey Ralf, would you do a fellow a favor? I would love to get my hands on your old harness (I harvest connectors off of them to restore mine). Would you be able to get your old one back from this guy (tell him to remove it non-destructively, if he can't, he ain't worth a lick) and let me have a crack at it. Heck, I might even be able to fix it! Lemme know eh?

6. Ralf

Ralf New Member

Rob you can have it when it goes into the shop for the re-wire job. I will PM you and you can give me your address and it will be sent to you the way it is. I will tell him to take it easy on the wires.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm paying postage and a small thankyou fee! Much obliged Ralf. Wish you were closer or I was headed your way, I'd rewire it for you!

8. Ralf

Ralf New Member

No problem Robert.