1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650RJC valve cover bolts. Stuck!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ddiggerr, Jan 18, 2020.

1. ddiggerr

ddiggerr New Member

Just a quick question ..... upon trying to loosen off the valve cover bolts, they are fighting me all the way. I really do not want to snap them. The amount of force I am applying to break them free is telling me, anymore pressure will snap.

Would it be safe to assume heat is going to be the best method?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well if you have some type of penetrating oil or spray, hit them good and soak them down. If the bike runs you can then start her up let it warm up and then give them a try. What are you using to try to break them loose? A socket in the 4mm or 5mm (i forget) or a wrench? If you have a bit end that fits into a ratcheting screw driver that will fit, you can use that and then get a wrench on it to brake them lose. Like this but with a 4mm or 5mm on the valve bolt.
    [​IMG]DSCN0047 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

3. ddiggerr

ddiggerr New Member

ya .. using a 5mm hex allen wrench and its bending pretty good.

Unable to start it up as carbs are tore down for cleaning and needing new diaphragms (but thats another story)

Going to soak the valve bolts for a few days and then give another go at it and put a heat gun onto them.

Thanks

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Quite common for people to over tighten them due to leakage around the gasket. A 5 mm with a wrench on it and a light rap on the top will sometimes do the trick. Otherwise do the carbs and get the engine warmed up and try again.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

RJC so you have the YICS motor?

6. ddiggerr

ddiggerr New Member

Yes I sure do.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yep get it her running, warm up those bolts and even add a little PB blaster to them and will really help. If you have a heat gun that can do it too, but warming the engine from the inside out would be the best. Those bolts more or less bottom out when you install them, so if the rubber is old and not providing some feedback like they should, people will over tighten the heck out of them. They will brake easy that way too.

8. ddiggerr

ddiggerr New Member

Success. Let PB soak all day and night. Went out just now to see if they would budge.

All 12 came free with little force.

Thanks for the feedback

Timbox and XJ550H like this.