1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Won't idle

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xj750y, Jan 19, 2020.

1. xj750y

xj750y Member

Hi,

I have an XJ (with the hitachi 33mm carbs) and a it runs pretty good. It runs POD's (and yes I want to keep the pods) with pilot jets 43 and 112 mains.

The only issue is it won't idle. It idles for +-5 to 10 seconds and after that it keeps going down in rpm until it dies.

When I turn up the idle-speed-knob I get the problem that the throttle comes back very slowly when you rev it.

The idle mixture screws are 2,5turns out.

What could it be? I already checked the vacuum, inlet gaskets, cleaned the carbs and set the valves, synced the carbs.

The only time it does idle properly is when the choke is (partly) on with a cold engine.

Thanks.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

synced running on the bike? try 2.75 turns out

Simmy likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

This usually indicates synch is off, you stated you synched carbs ...how did you synch if bike will not idle? You should recheck synch , the other thing if you only used spray carb cleaner this will not work. The only and best way is a FULL tear down of the carbs , breaking the rack ( each carb split from the rails) soaking in Berrymans carb dip each carb body for 1 hour each. All rubber seals removed ...butterfly seals,idle mixture seal, fuel rail O rings ...ALL need replaced . Read the church of clean and my post on why you should replace butterfly seals .