1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700X suspension

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xxxKuTxxx, Dec 13, 2019.

1. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Hi, does anybody here ride Maxim X off-road? I want to invest into good suspension because I will be going to Africa this year from Norway. I ride it off-road a lot, but I am not happy with suspension travel and slow response. Any ideas? I will be riding it on sand, too. I've been looking into Progressive Suspension, but I don't know it it'd be a significant improvement. I have new bearings, fork oil and all, so this is out of the discussion

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Wow you are adventurous on the X! Keep us posted on how that works out for you. With the ground clearance of that bike, be careful or maybe rig up a skid plate? Not too sure what your definition of off-road is? The stuff I used to ride my KLR 650 in the X would not ride in.

3. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Clearance could be better, amen to that. But by off-road I mean unpaved roads, tractor roads, lumberjack roads and such. I rode some deer paths and hiking paths, of course untouched nature is too much for X. But it's not so much fun either, I was doing it on CRF - and falling is a part of the procedure - I feel like I'm to old for that now when I have passed 30.

Attached Files:

Franz and Simmy like this.
  4. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

So my X gets to ride on what's on these pictures, plus roads in some countries are worse than unpaved roads

Attached Files:

Franz and Simmy like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You need a different motorcycle. No doubt about that.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am with k-moe 100%, if you plan on driving on that sort of trails or roads, you might want to look for a motorcycle. If you plan on a long trip into that sort of terrain I would worry you might get injury having your current bike throw you. It is your choice but I don't think the X that has a 5 valve head for speed and good road riding should be used. Either way best of luck on your trip plans.

7. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Well, 2020 Africa Twin is pretty much the bike that would cover my needs. But 1. It's not nearly as much fun as 1986 X. 2. I like ergonomics of my X, with additional foot pegs I have 3 foot resting positions and I can lean back so my back gets support by the mine box (which is the main storage box). I average 800 miles a day in countries where speed fines are funny money, which would be challenging on the bikes with up-right sitting positions (I have multiple herniated back discs in my spine). 3. When I ride through countries where people live on less than $200 a month, a $20.000 bike is too much out of place. I ride alone - would not want to be killed for it. Rat-style X, on the other hand, looks like something anybody can afford, people come up to compliment it, chat, and recommend places to go. 4. X runs well on a low-octane sh#tty gasoline, and is generally "hard to kill", plus carbs >>> fuel injection when it comes to "easy fix" options. 5. I'm not easy to throw off, X has tried it when I was going 140 mph fully loaded. Caught death wobbling, thought I was a goner lol. 6. I have too much parts laying around and money invested in it. ECU tuning alone is like $800. No rev limiter, no traction control, no ABS, no nothing, super fun to ride. 7. I have romantic relationship with it, no way in hell I'm gon sell it lol. We have been through too much together. 8. Current setup 20190628_211039.jpg 20190701_165825.jpg 20190628_211039.jpg 20190701_165825.jpg works well, but it's just one thing I am willing to improve

a100man likes this.
  8. 50gary

50gary Active Member

The slowness of your X suspension is due (at least in part) to the lay down rear shocks. They take longer to react because they have to move the wheel axle further upward before the shock has much (if any) damping action. If you can weld and don't mind modifying your bike buy some longer shocks and mount them more vertical. Properly done this would give a bit more ground clearance and quicker reaction. It also would make the front steer a fraction quicker due to the slightly steeper rake angle. I also think what you're doing with your X bike is so cool, ride what you own, you probably do more adventure riding on the X bike than the next ten owners of BMW GS? One last comment "now that you're over 30?" That's pretty young in my book ha ha.
    Cheers, 50gary

a100man likes this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you always have the cargo on the bike ?
    that may be part of your issue
    side bags tank bag fork bag to redistribute the weight and get it lower

xxxKuTxxx likes this.
  10. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

50gary, you are right, I somehow overlooked the fact that shocks are laid down. Upright forks would be surely better, but the handling at higher speeds after such weld would probably go to sheeeit. I do ride with GS and KTM ADV owners, no problems to go where they go. Nobody risks taking fully loaded bikes to very challenging terrain anyways, especially with hard luggage cases that may break after landing on a rock :) what I value the most on this site is logic. Often I have a big shortage of it lol. Body heals slowly after 30... And we get more cautious and less risky

11. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I see no reason the high speed handling characteristics should deteriorate, with proper design/welding and quality shocks (dampers) all should be well. The amount of change in the fork rake would be zero if you keep the shock length so that the swingarm angle and ride height remains the same. Two Cents.
    Cheers, 50gary

12. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Fair Play.. Keep us updated on the ride - are you on ADV Rider?

13. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Yes, I am. ADV is the only way to get the full picture of any country. My Maxim X has visited 8 so far.