1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Other Classic Bikes you wished 'they' still made

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by kerriskandiesinc, Nov 6, 2019.

1. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

My Kettle, 1977 GT Suzuki was quicker to 50 than the GS750, itself no slouch, I know 'cos I owned both!! ( top end and handling, GS had it in the bag by quite a margin !)

Franz likes this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I've always bought used bike until 2003 I bought a new Buell Blast 500 with a Kerker pipe claimed 38 hp half of an 883 ...I rode the snot out it 5 miles when I bought it ,taught a co worker how to ride on it and sold it to him with 9500 miles on it, he rode it for another 4 years before buying a bigger bike. This was the first thumper I had had, even if it was a chick bike to most everyone who rode it was impressed with it. I miss it sometimes .

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  3. kerriskandiesinc

chick bike?, lol

I used to ride my Ex's RD125LC Yamaha, ....quite a lot, actually despatched on it for a while, think that 2 stroke made.....19HP?, at probably 7,000 revs, it was the most dangerous, fun time I had had on a bike, since I was 16 !!

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That Black Moto Guzzi is it the Griso 1200?

5. kerriskandiesinc

No its the 1200 Breva Sport, based on I think the 1100/1200 naked 'Breva'.....

6. kerriskandiesinc

Feel the bloody UK and you Europeans got both the 4 valve 1200 and the ( more powerful) 8 valve version, us lot over 'ere only ever got the 4 valve imported !!

Its not fast by any modern standards.......Guzzis never were, but 130MPH, shaft drive V twin, pretty reliable motor, so I'm told...like the old ads used to (truly) say "Long Legged and Easy to Live with" < well, fairly easy, though nowhere near XJ reliability, I know that for a fact, lol !!

7. Jetfixer

I wish Kawasaki would build the 550,750,1100 Spectre shaft drive or reintroduce the GPZ in the same displacement. Or Yamaha reintroduce the 550,650,750,900 SECA,MAXIM with updates and keep price under 9k I would be camped outside dealership waiting . Face it V twins are okay but nothing like 3 and 4 cylinder ( the 6 clyinder from Honda- Kawasaki had problems) the twin cylinder XS650, Triumph Bonneville would take those too .

Chitwood likes this.
  8. Crackjack

Crackjack New Member

What about those CBX 6 cylinder motorcycles. Aren’t they amazing sounding!

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes those CBX 6 are very sought after bikes for collectors, if you find one for cheap get it and flip it. I have never worked on one but I guess it would be the same principle at the XJ's.

10. Jetfixer

My dad used to work with a guy who bought a new CBX 6 he had it three days he rode to work , he went to pull out of parking lot and engine blew apart . The dealer replaced the engine ,but he had to fight for it, if the bike was left on side stand oil would pool to the left side , they told him he it needed to be on center stand always. I don't know if Honda ever fixed this or not.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i want my Cushman Eagle back, two speed suicide shifter with a foot clutch and torque converter

Chitwood likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The Honda CB 900f my friend bought broke one of its cam chains. He got the bike when it was low mileage. He got rid of it and got an old Goldwing. There was an article in one of the motorcycle magazines in the 1980's where a guy fitted a Z1 motor to a CB 900f chassis. Looked good and was very reliable.

13. kerriskandiesinc

The 80's were a testing time for Honda...CX500 was bold, but ugly and ate its cams, and alternator drive?, the early VF range, before they sorted them, had chocolate cams, the CB900F was generally reliable, but not as much as the GS/GSX range, nor any of the Kawasakis 900r/750R, turbo, GT range of shaft driven sports tourers, etc, even lowly? Yamaha...late to the 4 stroke party, had by now sorted the FZ750, FZ600's, and following ThunderAce 1000, to be more reliable than the Honda's!

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The CB 900F was styled similar to the Honda 250/400 Superdream. I liked the 900F until the cam chain broke, how did that happen because I didn't hear of any other ones doing that? A few months after that I got my Honda CB 750K2 shouldn't have sold that one.

15. kerriskandiesinc

I owned a CB400N Superdream...bag o shite, really, lol !!

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes they were. Better with your RD 400 than that.

Jetfixer and kerriskandiesinc like this.
  17. kerriskandiesinc

Thats why I got it back, lol...thought I'd try the new 4 stroke Honda's.....but at 110MPH that thing was gasping, and my mate on his RD400 came flying past !!

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the 70's two strokes could fly, great bikes the RD's were.

19. Bob Salter

Bob Salter New Member

First post. Now that I have a Seca 650 (Red) that I am picking up, I'll post a photo of my other bike I wish they still made. 84' Honda VF500f

Attached Files:

Chitwood and Jetfixer like this.
  20. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

My uncle has a red, white, and blue 1986 vf500. Been a good machine for him.