1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

well nuts , how do they fit?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Jan 21, 2020.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all,
    probably a daft question ,but, I am wanting to replace the fasteners securing my screen to the fairing, as the ones fitted are just nuts and bolts. I have ordered these well nuts and screws, but, how do they fit .
    does the rubber part push through both the screen then the fairing, then the screw tightens the lot together
    or
    does the rubber part push into the fairing from the screen side, then the screw goes through the screen ,into the nut
    or
    does the rubber part push into the fairing, from the inside ,then the screw goes through the screen into the rubber part
    I know -----doh-- but ive not took notice of them before
    [​IMG]
    thanks stu

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Your pic is small and kinda blurry, but typically you will push it in and insert the screw from the same side. The threaded insert is at the bottom and will pull up causing the rubber part to “swell” out as it is tightened.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Number 2

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I missed the second part of the question, yes the second way. Nut into fairing and screw through windshield.

5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

right ,thanks, such a simple thing, but if you get it wrong ,it can hit you in the face at 70mph.
    thanks
    stu

jayrodoh likes this.