1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca 82 leftover project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timbox, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think the shims will be my fist look see. I also want to see if I can flush or clean the inside of the engine a little better too. Get some cheap oil and some type of flushing or cleaning agent in there to clean it up. I have never worked on a bike that didn't have a filter or at least old oil in it what I purchased it...this is a first for me.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

rotella is 14$ a gallon

seafoam can be added to oil it will help clean out crud.

I add a little before oil change run it a few hundred miles then change oil and filter. cleans out oil level switch in the process.

you could mix wit oil and hand crank it it will pump oil through with the seafoam let it sit crank it some more then let it sit and drain it

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pulled the valve cover off today, gasket is done. Cracked in places and even broken in some places. The inside of the engine looks really good and clean. Will not be flushing the engine this time around. I will make it a short oil change cycle once spring gets to this area.

Took all the shims out and check specs at the same time. I just wanted to know what was in each. This engine is tight, cylinder #1 I couldn't even get the .oo3mm in to measure. So all 8 will need to be changed so will have to wait on the pool or ordering them. I want to take a look at the xj700 I am working on in case I can swap some of them over.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Fist off, nice to have the forum back up and running! Got the shims taken care of and the new gasket for the valve cover placed on the cover to get it to form. I have a placed and trying to get it to form a little bit. I might have to glue it in place on the cover side. Time will tell. I will be removing the AVATAR next getting it ready for the headlight and gauge change over.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I think you mean ATARI :D

Nice work bringing it back from the dead!

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Lol you are right thanks for the correction. This is a pic of the gasket placement for fit and a little memory to the rubber before trying to place it. I think most folks even glue it in place on the valve cover side?
    [​IMG]new valve cover by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Thanks for the comment, I just hate to see these nice old bikes go to a junkyard. I still have to do the paper work on this one to get a title but sense there is snow on the ground here 6 weeks of playing mail tag with the Wisconsin DMV is not a big worry.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Ordered the headlight and speedo for this bike. It will be interesting getting the wiring correct, but should be okay. Went with a speedo pickup on the wheel as the mechanical pickup speedo will be gone.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got a new battery for the old girl today, got that on the charger after letting it sit with new acid in it. Who reads directions these day...lol. Pulled the 4-1 header as it really needs some TLC. Could not find any holes but I might do a smoke test before I finish up the prep for paint. Now being as cool as it is here, painting this header will have to wait a while. That or I heat it up with LP torch and as it is cooling (check with IR temp gauge) I can paint it and wish for the best? Not taking the header into the house and the shed only gets to about 60 F, still a little cool for painting.

I have learned to put the rattle can into hot water and let the soak up the heat for a better paint job.
    [​IMG]Header by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Could not find a maker name or stamp on the pipe. Connector flanges are in place do to little lips on the header top as it goes into the head. SS clamp to connect to two parts together. I will have to think about upping the main jet too, as they are still stock. Have to pull the carbs for a little TLC anyway.

9. XJ550H

looks like a mac 4 to 1
    got a photo of the end of the muffler

you could use a few heat lamps to heat it.

I needed to make an oven to cure epoxy. made it from ply wood lined with foil you can get it quite hot with a heat lamp focused on a sheet of steel

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^ I have seen a few vids about that and I do have a old plywood box that could be lined. I have a old think locker I could try too, could heat that from the outside even, no direct flame on the pipe . I will get a pic of the end of the muffler. I will do some looking at some Mac's and let you know. Thanks.

Yep looks like it is a Mac, but the end cap has a few more holes than the pic shows on most of them. There is one large exit hole in mine but then many other around the flat muffler plate. Looks to be factory or a good DIY job. I do know she is a little louder then I am used to...but I will deal.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that looks like my mac pipe, if the header flanges are soft as butter, it's a mac. i think the name and #'s are on the muffler

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looks like we had another gremlin his the server, that is too bad. I am glad we are back up, like coming to the board.

I agree with you I do think it is a Mac. Let the exhaust dry for a few days and put it back on, looks much better. Got the gauge and headlight in the mail. Gauge instructions leave a little room for error but that is okay. I will have to bend the mounting plate as the gauge sits a little too flat looking up to the sky mounted to the original holes for the rectangular headlight bracket. Cut the brakes off that as the new headlight will be connected to the top of the forks as with my BMW.

Most of the wiring is labled so I hope to get good progress today. Need to print out the OEM wiring diagram for reference.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

This will work good going down the road, no issues with wind whip or anything flying apart.
    [​IMG]20200205_144102 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This was 1st stage in getting the gauge to work, some of the colors are off I think 1. The w/y wire in the directions was really their y/w wire, something I would do. Need to put some gas to her and get her running to see if all the lights word as they should. Then to cut and solder the wires nice and get them packed in there behind the round headlight (that will be mounted soon). Needed to get the gauge on and wires figured out before the headlight can cover them up.

That pic is bad...sorry but you get the idea.

14. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

You may want to check out my post as I'm doing very similar things especially with the gauge setup ;)

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes these cheap aftermarket gauges that some of us are getting are interesting to work with. I know on another bike I was having issues with the wheel calculation. Finally just did it the old fashion way and marked a line on the ground and tire, moved the bike enough to make the tire go one rotation, marked the ground the measured. Converted to cm and put that in the gauge. It right on now. I see from you post it was mentioned that I might have to put a 200 hm resister in line with the oil ground, hmm.

The directions for my gauge is in broken English and is not totally correct. Once I get it worked out I will take a pic of my wire brake down from gauge wire color to bike harness color. This is the gauge I am trying to wire in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9QS2KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16. XJ550H

there is a resistor in the oem circuit it is in the diode block
    the diode you see is to solinoid for the starter button oil light test
    upload_2020-2-6_18-48-23.png

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I don't plan on hacking upthe OEM harness anymore than I have to, so maybe I will not need to add a resister? I still think the gauge will not work for the oil ckt and I will have to add a light indicator anyway.

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Interesting day, we had a big snow storm on the 9th, took care of all of my responsibilities of cleaning said snow, took most of the day. Morning of the 10th, head back to my place to find fresh track in my uncleaned driveway. Long story short, the CCTV system has a young man with his Ford SUB coming into my drive and braking into my shed. No worried XJ's are all safe and no damage. He did take my air compressor and cost me a $200 door plus dead bolt. He broke the older door off the three hinges on its side and pushed past.

Local Deputy has the vid from the CCTV and seems to know the kid. Could not tell me his name and I really don't want to know. Press charges but will never see restitution or my air compressor again. Have no idea how long it will take even with being caught on CCTV and turning it in the same day. Miss him by about 15 mins...that would have been interesting. Anyway had to vent!

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I hope this kid chooses an honest line of work after this. I thought about a CCTV system but my shepherd has a very intimidating bark.
    I had 2 bikes stolen when I was younger and lived in apartments. Thieves are scum.

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes they are scum. If he persists stealing he will meet his nemesis. Good you have the CCTV Timbox.