1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New bike buying experience.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by geebake, May 3, 2006.

1. geebake

geebake Member

I've been seriously thinking about a new bike to add to the herd. I love my Seca, but it's not really suited to my daily commute. I also have an ancient Goldwing that runs like a dream, but it's not really suited to my daily riding either. Oh and I just have some cash burning a hole in my pcoket.

Well, I've been reading everything I possibly could for several months and decided that there were just a few bikes that I really liked. I got down to a Suzuki SV650 or a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I guess I'm really stuck on 650s.

So, tonight I decided to visit the local Suzuki shop and have a look. What a drag this turned out to be.

First, even though I had the shop to myself, it still took 10 minutes to get the attention of a salesman. Then he starts his spiel assuming I know nothing. Well, I didn't know nothing (no double negative intended there.) I had researched these bikes for months and probably knew far more about them than this 19 year old punk did. Naturally he tried to steer me to more expensive sport bikes. I was able to convince him that I was only interested in these bikes. He told me that he thought I was being foolish. OK. Moving on.

So we start talking brass tacs. I told him that I wanted to put down about half the cost of the bike and finance the rest. He said, "If your credit is really, really good, I think I can get the rest financed at 10.8%. What? I could put the bike on a credit card and get a better deal.

OK, so I'm not financing the bike through them. No big deal. I wasn't that surprised. Then I asked him if I could test ride the bikes to help decide. First he tells me that they are essentially the same bike and riding them wouldn't tell me anything. At this point I know I know more about these bikes than this kid. Look them up if you're not familiar with them. While they do have basically the same engine, they are terribly different.

So after I argue with him for a while, he finally breaks down and tells me that they don't offere test rides. No exceptions. Let me get this straight. You expect me to spend $7000 without even riding around the block? What if I get a mile down the road and decide the bike isn't for me?

It was a pretty disapointing experience. I was a serious buyer, but now there's NO chance I would buy a bike from them. I hate to admit this, but the local Harley dealer has them beat hands down when it comes to customer service. I'm not a Harley guy, but when I was there to take the safety course, they offered me a test ride before I asked for one. Their financing was enormously better as well.

So are your experiences similar? Is my local shop just crappy or is this what the world has come to?

Greg

2. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

No test drive seems to be the standard at most Bike dealerships. Audubon NJ is very close to Philadelphia, PA so there are no shortages of dealerships around our way. Also keep an eye on http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/ I have seen a few used SV650 for sale at nice prices there. But if you are looking for a very good Suzuki dealer ship that is great but a little bit of hike from you but easily within reach try http://www.joessuzuki.com/ there located in Frazer, PA. They treat you with respect and are not pushy at all.

Also try http://www.cycletrader.com/ they list new and used

Here is some reading material 2006 Ninja 650R vs Suzuki SV650
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_P ... 250&Page=1

Also take a look at the Kawasaki ZZR600
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/14february05_zzr600.htm

3. Steve_Fasano

Steve_Fasano New Member

Greg,,You have mail

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Greg, if you are absolutely without options for the bike you want or have some perverse interest in giving that dealership your money, I would seriously talk to the manager or better yet the owner of the shop and give them the skinny on their "salesman". He could be screwing up their good name and they might just need another nail to put him in his coffin (pun intended). Have you had dealings with this place before? If not, I would definitely move on to greener pastures and pass your experience around to your riding circle. That ought to get them noticed and avoided. But in all fairness, that snot nosed kid probably hasn't the slightest clue about salesmanship and could use a lesson in the finer arts of selling a product (this skill applies to anything, soup-de'jure, hamburgers which I see in his future, burritos, etc...). It might be worth your while if they are the local bike shop to inform the management of your experience so they can take steps to correct it, it is a professional courtesy only so don't break your back trying. You are the informed (and educated) buyer and when the money is on the barrel, they should sit up and listen. I have had similar experiences with the youngsters of today's generations and far too many of them have yet to have been exposed to hard honest work. They haven't been shown the fine art of service, it is almost dead (at least in this country, I've seen it elsewhere where people are grateful to have a job and work very hard to keep it). Squirrelly boy needs to be taken down a notch or two and shown some humility, it is good for building character. As my instructor in class said yesterday, “The entitlement generation hasn't a clue about manners nor respect". It's time people started placing expectations upon them and holding them to account for their performance and behavior. Good luck to you Greg, I hope you do give that shop what for and how to, they need it!

5. nlh2810

nlh2810 New Member

I've had similar experiences with my local bike shop. Not only looking at new bikes, but also with parts accessories, etc... Seeing as they are the only shop in the county, actually only shop within about 45 miles of my house, they have a corner on the market. I've found that it's better for me to drive a bit further to get the better service.

definitely talk with the management. salespeople are the front line customer servers, most customers never get further than the sales staff. let the manager know that you are taking your business elsewhere because of his staff. for each person that complains or comments to the manager, a lot more just walk out and take their business elsewhere without saying anything.

6. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Some shops don't do test rides. Their short answer is we don't have the insurance to do it. That's mostly a load as they should have insurance do do it.

Some brands don't do standard test rides. There is a Honda? trailer that goes around this area that does demo days. No demos outside of that.

My like bike shop does a spring kawasaki demo days. They use their own bikes and I guess they turn enough over that the cost is minimal to the promotions it gives them.

Perhaps smaller shops can't do it - as they don't get the same bang for the buck.

On rude salesmen - ensure that the manager knows that they lost a sale because you didn't get what you wanted. Ensure you explain that you wanted a demo and after a demo you had cash in hand to buy a new bike. Make sure that you follow that up with a I just purchased from elsewhere note - proving you weren't a tire kicker and they did loose a sale. IF they are smart they'll bend over backwards to try to win you as a customer.

Another point - you can demo from other stores and buy locally. Perhaps their policy and one bad apple ruined that experience - but having a good local shop that will standup for you is worth alot! Buying locally if they are willing to be that dealership... well is almost priceless. Warrenty work and parts will be easier and cheaper.

"Nice guy" discounts are available at many stores - I get between 10-25% off on anything I buy just because I always buy from them and I'm always a good customer.

we need a dealers-to-avoid and dealers-to-use list

7. DudeBozo

DudeBozo New Member

My local shop is one of the largest motorsports dealers in the state. They are arrogant and rude, all the way up to management and ownership. The main problem is they all race on the weekends, if you arent in their clique then you get literally ignored while shopping. I've spent up to ten minutes hearing an employee talking to some guy in the shop about the previous weekends race only to have to push my way to the counter to actually make a purchase. Just last week I went in to buy a replacement bulb for my turn signals. The guy raised his voice and claimed to know his job when I pointed out that he had given me the wrong bulb. (It's not hard to tell a dual filament bulb from single, but he figured a way) I did get to know one sales guy there and he went out of his way to help, funny how he's no longer there. They do test rides, but I believe you need a $1000 dollar deposit.

I think one thing is the fact that they are selling expensive toy's in a sense. I would figure the odds are very high as to how many people waste their time just window shopping, but acting like they'll buy today. It's no excuse, but I can imagine how frustrating it must be.

I personally can't stand going into the place and buy everything that I can online. Only in a pinch or rush do I still go there.

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Bozo, sounds like your letting them know where they stand with your wallet. Keep it up. Go to any of the local bike nights? Ride with any groups out there? I'd be spreading the word out loud at any function like that. It shouldn't matter if your window shopping or cash in hand to be treated as an appreciated patron. Folks who window shop usually will return if they believe they have been treated well and will continue to be so. Service, arrghh, makes my blood pressure go up just thinking about it.

9. furyus

furyus Member

I work at a large shop here in Northern Virginia, and I can say that there are two good, solid reasons dealers don't do demos. One, other than Ducati, the manufacturers don't provide demo bikes at reduced cost to the dealer. Who wants to buy a new bike that some squid has beat on for however many miles? Manufacturers don't give us bikes to sell, they sell us bikes so we can resll them, hopefully at a profit. Letting everyone demo is not profitable.

Secondly, insurance does play a role in our lawsuit-mad society. I can't tell you how many customers have confidently told me how experienced they are moments before they dump their new bike at 4 mph in the parking lot. Folks come in calling the clutch the throttle and the throttle the brake and then ask if they can demo the YZF R1 they're sitting on. "I think I'd like to try motorcycling...which one is the Hey-busa?"

Good golly, we wouldn't have any bikes to sell if we did demos!

Regards,
    Furyus

10. DudeBozo

DudeBozo New Member

Yep, Robert, everyone within 100 miles of this place knows their rep. You only go there when you have to and you only buy on your terms not theirs. They make their money off of their service department, like every dealer does, but they really do have great mechanics. If I didnt handle all my maintenance myself I'd go there for service as well.

My dad used to own a Kawasaki dealership in the 70's. I recently asked him what his policy was on test drives, granted it was thirty years ago. He said he had a bike in the shop that was pretty much the beater everyone rode for parts runs etc.. He would take the customer to the parking lot and let them drive it, if they showed suffecient skill he would consider a test drive.

11. Jazzmoose

Jazzmoose Member

Greg, the situation is much the same here. The Harley dealer is all "here, give it a try" and, "hey, we'll find some way to get it financed, don't worry" while the other dealerships in town are more "what the heck to YOU want". I don't know what I'd do if I was in the market for a new bike. Must admit, I wish I was though...

12. geebake

geebake Member

I can understand why shops don't want to give test rides. I really can. It just puts buyers in a tough spot. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something that I can't feel out. I can't think of anything else in this pricerange that you can't try out. It really felt to me that the shop had the attitude that the customer is a necessary evil and nothing more. They could have a really good time there if it weren't for guys coming in and messing with things.

I really think Harley has got it right here though. I stopped by the local HD dealer the other day and once again, even though I was clearly not a serious buyer, they treated me with a great deal of respect. Seems to me that their sales reflect this. I'm not saying that the Japaneese manufacturers would overtake Harely if they had better policies, but it wouldn't hurt.

I've always been amazed by the Harley community. I've had the oportunity to be around them and even ride with the local HOGs once. They're not the biker gang crowd they used to be and I really liked the experince. I don't like the bikes at all, but I like the community. I just don't see that kind of thing elsewhere. I think we XJ fans try to be like that, but there aren't enough of us and we're spread to the four winds. Why can't everyone be an XJ enthusiast!

Greg

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

I hear a common thread here Greg. Do you ride is the underlying question as I see it. If the collective culture would all realize this, we'd be one HUGE lobby. We could move mountains. It's all about the wind in your face, how you get there is really irrelevant.

14. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

I also think this would be useful so I created a new forum called 'Service & Online/Retail Shop Review'.

15. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    TY SnoSheriff

16. CTSommers

CTSommers Member