1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Modular helmets...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Cattleman XJ, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

I am now officially a fan!

Sadly I had to retire my Arai Quantum II due to age.

Found a smoking deal on a Schuberth C3 Pro from New Enough (Motorcycle Gear) and rolled the dice.

it’s rather nice to have the face open at times- especially when I’ve got a pinch of snuff in :cool:

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i use a old HJC flip lid that I'll use until it stinks too bad to put on my head
    how do guys with glasses use full face helmets, what a hassle

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I do and it sucks for a few weeks with a new helmet while the “grooves” form inside the helmet where the sides of the glasses press in. I still prefer to wear contacts.

4. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

I wear glasses. the eyeglasses I used to wear blocked the wind well, so I used a half helmet. [florida no helmet required if insured]
    the glasses I have now, creates a vortex behind lens @ 45mph+
    so know I use full face with smoke face shield. at first I didn't like the confinement, but the lack of eye watering wind in my face makes riding more enjoyable for me. plus, I ride with ear buds listening to tunes more efficiently.

5. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

I used to have a heavy pair of sunglasses that I wore in my helmets. It was uncomfortable till the padding developed a groove in it. After that it became like second nature and I enjoyed the extra wind and debris protection when riding around town.

I’ll admit when I first put on my new one I wasn’t super impressed by a few things- mainly the *click click click* of the visor as it’s raised and lowered. It just reminded me of a cheaper helmet, but it’s growing on me.

I’ve yet to try out the built in, flip down sun shade. It’s my first lid with this feature and if feels kinda hokey. So does the breather vent. But again, my Arai was kinda chunky in the way that the vents operates

6. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

It's a pain for short rides, but nice on long ones. Also, wearing protective gear is part of the bargain with the wife.

7. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I use sunglasses under my full face... hasn't been an issue at all.
    The only thing I don't like about my C-11 is there is no "Just a hair open" detent spot for when it's a little too hot, or fogging, inside the helmet. The first click / stop is halfway open.

8. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

I've used a flip front lid for years.....probably got my first in the late 90's
    Currently still rocking my ancient Nolan N102 Flip

In the (UK) Sharp helmet tests I believe the Nolan was the ONLY flip front with a good chin guard rating!!

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i usually have some earplugs in my jacket pocket and just trap one in the shield when it closes. just right

Tim O and jayrodoh like this.
  10. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

hmmmm.... sounds good, will try.

11. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    A few years ago I got a Shoei GT Air helmet when the other guy's insurance company bought it for me. It has the drop down sun shade in it and I thought it was a gimmick until I used it one bright and sunny day. Not so much a gimmick, I like it. Not so much that I would choose a helmet just for that feature but it is right handy.
    John

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  12. kerriskandiesinc

The Nolan..at least my N102, later versions corrected this aspect, as an EXTERIOR flip front sunshade/..it actually works, but is not really stable, when in flipped up mode at anything above 50MPH...

13. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

I don’t mean “hokey” as in “not useful”, it’s just rather loud, clunky, and not very smooth in its deployment

14. kerriskandiesinc

Strange...never owned one, but I thought Schuberth were of the hi end in (motorcycle) safety equipment manufacturers....I know my (still) UK courier mate swears by them (Schuberth flip front lids)

15. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

That’s what really threw me for a loop, but maybe the flip down visors on cheaper manufacturers are even worse.

I just wasn’t impressed in that (and other) regard

FWIW this is my first Schuberth and first modular