1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do I remove valve spring seats 82 XJ650RJ Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dave C_61, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Dave C_61

Dave C_61 New Member

Hi,

I'm doing a complete engine rebuild due to transmission problems and as I'm putting it back together I'm going thru everything, cleaning, checking, etc this engine has @ 70k kms on it.

I've had the cylinders bored and matched to new oversized pistons, I swapped out the transmission with one from a doner lower mileage engine, and I'm now prepping the head to go back on.

Lots of carbon on the inside as expected, and a fair bit of oil and remnants of paint etc on the outside.

I've knocked off the carbon from the valves with a brass brush on a dremel, and then removed the valves. My next planned step is to bath the head in my solvent bath to clean it inside and out, before doing a final dremel clean up of the exhaust ports and any remaining external paint, then it will be on to cleaning the valves, lapping them, reinstalling with new seals, adjusting shims etc...

But as I dismantle I'm stuck on the spring seats.... these are loose enough where they are, i can spin them with the tip of a tool for example, and i feel like they should come out before the head gets its bath to prevent any solvent or dirt from getting trapped underneath them..... I just can't figure out how to remove them!

Looking for some tips, thanks!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

which part are you talking about?
    valve.PNG valve parts.PNG

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

#3 it may just be oil holding them in place some carb spray may clean the crud enough to remove them . maybe a magnet or blast of air.

4. Dave C_61

Dave C_61 New Member

Yes it is part #3, I don't have a magnet skinny enough to fit but I will find one! The couple I have looked at so far spin very easily so likely just oil stiction holding them down I guess....

Toomanybikes likes this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Put it solvent bath, then fish then out after they drop.

Franz likes this.